Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Best Front/Rear Size combo for '06 E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Front/Rear Size combo for '06 E55?

Luke,

Is there a larger size combo I should be considering for the E55? I plan on still keeping the factory 18" AMG wheels. The original equipment tires Conti SportContact 2 didn't provide the rear grip I need.

Are bigger tires the answer? Is there another tire I should consider?

thx
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 PM

No opinions????

Considering the load rating required for this car, and my wanting to get more footprint on the rear tires, two viable options appear to be the following:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport
- P255/40ZR18 XL (95Y) (front)
- P285/35ZR18 XL (97Y) (rear)

2) Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico Mercedes
- P255/40ZR18 XL (99Y) (front)
- P285/35ZR18 XL (101Y) (rear)

My local tire shop has checked for clearance and feels comfortable that these sizes will not come in contact with the body/suspension, nor stick out past the fenders. Thoughts????

In an effort to keep the #revs/mile close (between the front and rear wheels), I thought I should increase the front tire size a bit as well. My intentions are to avoid any potential issues with the Mercedes ESP. These tire sizes are actually closer than the OEM sizes. I'm guessing this could actually help. Thoughts???

I understand the Michelin tire may come in a higher load rating than I am showing above, but I cannot confirm at this time. If it does exist, I would order that (ie, 99 or 101Y vs 97Y)

The Pilot Sport appears to be rated a bit higher by consumers, but not by much. The Pirelli's are available at a fairly good discount as compared to the Michelins and appear to be a relative bargain without sacrificing performance. Thoughts on these observations??????

thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Went with Option #2 (Pirelli) and everything fits and runs great.

thanks for all the help