Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

rotate tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210
rotate tires?

i have a staggered setup on my rear wheel drive car. the question is do i rotate the tires? obviously i don't put the rear tires up front, but do i switch the left and right rear tires, and the right and left fronts?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK
No you wouldn't. Most tires are uni-directional meanning they are meant to rotate a certain direction. This is indicated by arrows along the walls of the tires. That is why you can't necessarly rotate the wheels by simply swapping driver and passenger sides.

I believe most people with staggered fitment wouldn't rotate their wheels. If you do, this would entail the tires being taken off the rim and remounting them so that they run along to proper indicated direction.

The patterns on the tires are cut a certain way depending on the purpose they are made for. For example, if they are all season purpose tires, the centre of the tire tread is designed to funnel water away from the tires in order to minimize the quantity of water betweem your tires and the road. If the tires were simply swapped and running the wrong direction, the tires would no longer be funnelling the water properly therefore lead to hydro planing. Also the tires would also wear out faster than usual and if they are performance tires they would work against the vehicle. Basically if you simply swap sides, the tires will be backwards and it will be like driving in reverse on the tires.

The only analogy I can think of that relates is when you are sanding a block of wood working against the grain rather than with the grain.

Hope I'm somewhat correct with this.