Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tpms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tpms

I'm in the process of buying a GL450 and would like to put some different wheels on it. Does anyone know if the TPM's on the OEM 18's can be transferred over to the new wheels? This might include OEM 20's as well as aftermarket 19's or 20's. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The Tire Pressure Sensor is the Valve stem..And Yes It can be swapped to another Rim..Make sure the tire shop knows that you have the sensors on the rims..So that they do NOT damage them when they remove the tires
Old 02-16-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 236 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Not all wheels are TPMS-compatible. The hole for the valve stem needs to be in a location that will allow physical fitting of the type of sensor your car uses (probably BERU or Siemens). Most are by now, but you need to verify that before you get the wheels.

Another point is that the sensors aren't that expensive. If you're getting new tires and wheels as a package, say from Tirerack, you can specify that they install new sensors when they mount the tires. That way you can just bolt on the new wheel/tire combinations as shipped. This is often the cheapest way to upgrade.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Not all wheels are TPMS-compatible. The hole for the valve stem needs to be in a location that will allow physical fitting of the type of sensor your car uses (probably BERU or Siemens). Most are by now, but you need to verify that before you get the wheels.

Another point is that the sensors aren't that expensive. If you're getting new tires and wheels as a package, say from Tirerack, you can specify that they install new sensors when they mount the tires. That way you can just bolt on the new wheel/tire combinations as shipped. This is often the cheapest way to upgrade.
The wheels I'm looking at all allow for TPM fitting. I wouldn't consider them inexpensive - Brabus' are right at $200/ea and Tirerack's are $245/ea.

If I can save about $1k by moving the OEM's to the new ones, I'll do it - as long as they will fit. My concern is that the TPM's might be made with a radius that fits the wheel and not be transferrable.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 236 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Shouldn't be a problem. TPMS-compatible wheels are all you need to worry about. The sensors have a standard size and shape.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Shouldn't be a problem. TPMS-compatible wheels are all you need to worry about. The sensors have a standard size and shape.