Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Changing from 17" to 18" tires/wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Question Changing from 17" to 18" tires/wheels

I am new to this board and would greatly appreciate advice and/ or suggestions..

I have a 1998 SL500 AMG with 17 inch tires/wheels.
(This car is low, looks sporty. However, I've had my spoiler repaired due to scrapes from exiting steep driveways.

The MB dealer says that I can't change the tires and that if I did, the ride will be worse.
The tire dealership says that it can be done and that the ride will be smoother, because the car will be higher off the ground.

Which theory is correct?

I would also like to know if I should have different size tires in the rear?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Well the 'ride' itself will worsen. When you increase wheel size, you reduce the tire size in order to keep the overall diameter the same. For example, on a 17 you may have 2" of sidewall. Go to an 18 and you need to have 1.5" sidewall to compensate.

As far as clearing the street - think about it. If you are maintaining overall tire diameter - you're ride height isn't changing!

That is of course unless you can go up to a bigger wheel AND a bigger tire. Then ride quality will be the same (or better if you get more sidewall) and of course clearance will increase at that point!

This may be an option even if it looks like they won't fit, to talk a real pro (like someone from Tirerack). You may be able to roll the fenders to gain some clearance.

Good Luck.
Peet
Old 09-30-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Thanks for the info. I do plan on changing both wheels and tires.
I guess I am stuck with the "low rider".
However, my 17 year old and his buddies, think it the coolest thing to have his mom driving a "low rider" benz.