Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

How hard to paint a chrome lip???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Arrow How hard to paint a chrome lip???

Just curious how hard it is to have a chrome lip powder coated or painted. The sales person I spoke to about the rim said that since the lip was stainless steel/ chrome, the paint would not stick on the lip of the rim. Is this true? I don't really trust too many sales people these days just from a recent bad experience. And also know that majority of these sales people have no clue of what they're talking about... Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 AM

AMGs
Anyone wanna chime in here??? Anyone???
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 PM

'09 E93 335i
Painting over chrome isn't a real good idea. You could probably roughen up the surface to get paint to stick to it, but the chrome is "plated" onto the surface and if that chrome starts peeling, so does your paint or powder coat that's on top of it. You should go to a reputable plating shop and have the chrome stripped off and then powder coated. That's how I would do it anyway.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
This tool is used with these discs. The ceramic aluminum oxide is great for starting, followed by the aluminum oxide to finish.

The tool and discs would have NO problem removing the chrome and providing a great bare metal finish.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:59 AM

AMGs
Originally Posted by joec1101
Painting over chrome isn't a real good idea. You could probably roughen up the surface to get paint to stick to it, but the chrome is "plated" onto the surface and if that chrome starts peeling, so does your paint or powder coat that's on top of it. You should go to a reputable plating shop and have the chrome stripped off and then powder coated. That's how I would do it anyway.
Thank you for the input! I called Mag Masters today and they said it needed to be stripped before painted so that's the route I'm takin'. Hopefully I'm not ruining a perfectly good chrome lip hahaha...
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by wingless
This tool is used with these discs. The ceramic aluminum oxide is great for starting, followed by the aluminum oxide to finish.

The tool and discs would have NO problem removing the chrome and providing a great bare metal finish.
That is exaclty what you need to do... Powder coating will last longer and not chip. If you paint it you might need to get a self etching primer so that the paint can stick.. I did this to my wheels last year. PM me if you have any questions