Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Powersteering drip - Euro W126 SEC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:56 PM
ulyssesdeguzman

Question Powersteering drip - Euro W126 SEC

Hi All,

I’m considering buying an 81 500 SEC Euro model. According to the owner the Powersteering drips and the driver’s seat doesn’t recline. The car seems to be in good condition w/ only 86k miles. Is this a good buy for this year, model, and version?

All suggestions and comments appreciated

Ulysses in SF, CA

ulyssesdeguzman@yahoo.com
Old 10-17-2002, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi,

86k mls in 21 years this guy must be kidding!!! (4k mls per year)

Driver seat does not recline :-((

BUT a dripping PS is (almost) life threatening to offer!!!!!!!!
Just imagine: driving on the highway at 75 mph or more and the PS gives up on you!!! All of a sudden the forces to turn the steering wheel will multiply by factors!!!! Hope there is no other car, tree or bridge around.

No matter what the guy is asking, forget it, unless you want to spend big$$$$
Old 10-20-2002, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86k miles is not unreasonable for the car, amazing how some people do not grasp these were toy cars for the original purchaser and usually was one of a few cars that could be used on a daily basis. Do your homework to back track the history via service and inspection records just to make sure mileage was not rolled back.

Seat not reclining should not be a deal buster provided that everything else checks out and you are happy with the asking price. Problem could be as simple as corrosion on the switch to a bad motor, but I would lean more towards a corrosion or wiring connection issue.

The leaking PS is something to look at though. Not from the point of it "going out" at speed and hitting a tree, that comment was stupid. The steering is power assisted, not power dependent. Amazing how people forget that power steering was an option on some cars not all that many years ago. Besides, at 45+ mph you are better off w/o power steering, much better road feel.

The leaking ps fluid will eat up the rubber in the front suspenion. When I bought my SEC it had the exact same problem, leaking ps fluid and all the rubber was ruined on the drivers side suspension. Have the front suspenion checked. Complete front end rebuild is in the ball park of $1500 parts and labor. Doing it yourself will still cost you about $600-$800 in parts.

Look for rust under the rear window area, a known weak point on the SEC's. Open the trunk and look up under the "hat shelf" area. Only way to fix the problem is to cut and weld in new metal. Also the rear windows have a habit of delaminating in the bottom corners. Visual clue is the glass turns a milky color.

I am sure others will think of things I overlooked. I do recommend you go over to mbcoupes.com and sign up. It is a web site / mail list for the 126 SEC cars. Has good people with very good advice.

dave
Old 10-21-2002, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Talking

Hi dgcole,

I have to answer to your post concerning the W126.

86k mls in 21 years is odd, even considering this car being a toy. But if so than there is no need to check for corrossion anywhere since toys mostly are very well kept.

Those kind of toys also dont loose PS fluid, especially not after only 86k mls.

PS is very much power dependant. This is the reason it is belt driven. If the hydraulic fliud is gone, and this happens when it started leaking, since your are running very high pressures in the system, which make the seal systems finally collaps.

Your comment about to be better off w/o PS is total (excuse me) BS. Just for you to find out what you will face if the PS goes out: try to turn the wheel when the engine off, and imagine this on the highway. DONT DO IT WHILE DRIVING!!!! The older car w/o PS were of total different technology, they had a mechanical power assist system which did not involve hydraulic at all.

Sorry but I needed to post this!