Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

E55 on Kumhos 712, Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 6spd
Update after 500 miles on tires.

I do like these tires - rained here in AZ this weekend, so I got to try them out in the wet. The handle well in both dry and wet conditions - wet through some standing water and no sense of hydroplaning. I do not drive that aggressively, but on occasion - therefore, in most of my daily driving conditions, these tires do well. These tires also seem to be a little stiffer than the Conti SC I had previously. The only issue I have so fat is road/tire noise. These tires seem to be like Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Depending on road conditions, these tires are very quiet or very loud. Drove from Phoenix to Tucson on I10 and it was very quiet, unless I hit a very rough patch of road. From Tucson to Phoenix - took SR 79 - whcih they repaved not too long ago and it was the worst ride yet. The new asphalt it not the most level, but it was noisy and the ride was very bouncy -seemed like I felt every little irregularity in the road. But, driving back to Tucson this morning - it was very smooth and quiet. Other than that, the Kumho's seem to be okay - will have to report on cupping later with more mileage.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
I think I'd spend an extra $8 per tire for the Yokohama
AVS ES100.

Too many jeckyl/hyde stories of the Kumho 712.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:07 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I wish I had a couple more days to wait for tires....I needed the first available ties and the Kumho's were it. I dont think I regret getting these, but if I had more time to wait for tires to come in....I would go with something else. I did not want want to wait an extra 2-3 days for the Yoko ES 100's to come in. Did not want to drive on the spare more than I had too.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Only thing I can say about the Yokohama AVS ES100 is the is hard and loud. Two people confirmed that, one of them was a Discount Tire sales manager (very good friend of mine), so I won't be putting those on my car, that is exactly why I went to kumhos, because they are a lot quieter than other tires with the same specs (tire rating, UTG, and Size)