Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Aftermarket shocks w/ springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Aftermarket shocks w/ springs?

What's the word on installing aftermarket shocks/dampers when you install aftermarket springs? Are the OEM shocks robust enough for mild/moderate lowering applications? (Car in question: 2001 E430.)

TIA...
Old 10-21-2002, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
Generally the Stock shocks will do an Ok job at dampening a sport spring. It would be better to get shocks also, so they are in sync with the spring rates. If you leave the stock shocks, you may find the car to wander at high speeds since the shock its not dampening enough for the stiffer springs.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
That's what I thought. The same generally goes for my car -- except that it's known that the stock shocks wear out quicker with lowering springs.

BTW, is that you running an autocross at Nassau Coliseum? I made it a couple of times last season, but didn't make it this season...
Old 10-22-2002, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
Yeah that's me Running at the Nassau Coliseum. I've been using the Mercedes this year for Most of my events. I normally use the BMW, but that's out of comission until I finish with my engine swap, but it will be back on the road soon! Since the BMW is off the road, I need something else to drive and keep my driving skills up, so I have either been using that or bumming rides from people (which is alot of fun to do ).