Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Matching tires on staggered rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK
Matching tires on staggered rims

Luke,

First of all thanks for the awesome recommendation on the Goodyear Eagles (which I bought from you guys).

I need to replace the tires on my stock rims since the front passenger side is blistering. The stock 16" rims are staggered and came with 205/55/R16 and 225/50/R16 in the rear OEM. I was suprised to find the rear rims are in fact wider than the front.

Is there anything wrong with running the same sized tires on all four sides ie225/50/R16 all the way around? Would 225/50 be an okay size or should I opt for the smaller size?

Looking at purchasing a set of Bridgeston Blizzaks for the wet and slushy winters we have here. Do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Nate
Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 CTS-V, '81 DMC-12
If you get two more wheels that are the same size to match either your existing front wheels (or the rears) you could then move to that size tire.

If staying with the current size wheels you technically could run the same size tires, but keep in mind that the wider wheel in the rear will cause your outside diameter to be slightly smaller than the front. If you're going with the 205/55's than that means that your gear ratio will be smaller in the rear, which means you'll be able to break the tires loose on launch easier, and your speedo will read slightly slower. I don't think your ABS will notice such a small difference.

You could also run the 225/50's all he way around, but you may not like how the y sit on the front wheels. They may appear to be ballooned or just excessively fat on the front wheels as they're narrower.

The object is to keep the same rolling diameter at all 4 corners as your ABS likes it that way.