Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

w203 brake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
w203 brake question

My wife's 04.5 W203 C230K has 33k miles on it and the 'brake wear" warning signal went on the other day..

I know the stealership will charge me around 600+ bucks to put on new pads/sensor and (maybe) re-surface the rotor. This is way too much for me and I need advices for what's my other option..
I worked on other cars but not on Mercedes before

1. When the warning signal comes on, how do I know it's for front or rear? Do I have to take the wheels off and inspect them first?
2. Get aftermarket pads and DIY, what
3. Get MB parts from dealer and DIY
4. I probably won't be able to replace the rotors this time. Will do that next time.

What kind of aftermarket pads are available in the market? any comments and suggestion?

Jason
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS, 2000 1.8t Passat, Crown Vic with lights on roof
Save your cash for other things and replace the pads yourself , it's a very easy task....I picked up some "Morse" ceramic pads for my 05 C230SS at Autozone for only $38.00 a set (thanks to STEVEL1's post)...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM

C230 K
I actually got the morse ceramic pads from Autozone already. Also, got the sensor from stealer. Will do that this weekend..

Jason
Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by pickupjason
I actually got the morse ceramic pads from Autozone already. Also, got the sensor from stealer. Will do that this weekend..

Jason
All you need.........I reused the Brake wear sensor I had since I did a complete front brake job last year.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 PM

C230 K
got the brake job done this morning. spent some time in figuring out the jack point as well as the places for jack stands.
The 4-piston brembo caliber is kind of different from those on the cars I have worked on, spent about 45 mins at passenger's side to figure out the right way to do that. One more note, the brake line is too short, there's almost no "room" to work on, I have to put the caliber on a stand right next to the rotor. Also, put on the new sensor since the old one is gone. the total job took me about 2 hours. next time, it will be rather quick...i hope...