Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Michelin Pilot Sports notoriously noisy ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Thumbs down Michelin Pilot Sports notoriously noisy ?

I have a set of these on my 2003 SL500 and they whine like I have 4 snow tires mounted. They all have at least 7/32" left on them as far as tread goes and they aren't feather edged either.

Driving the car with these tires on it really detracts from the fun of it is all I can say. These tires are so noisy that people on the sidewalk can hear me coming and turn around to look before they even know what's making the racket! That, to me is nonsense!!

Why do these tires get so damned noisy with so few miles on them and so much left? Seems I had the same trouble with them on one of my Audi TT's. The tires were worn evenly but were so noisy I had to have them replaced. I didn't choose the Michelins they were on the car when I got it.

My next set of tires will be Bridgestone.

J Tinsby

Last edited by J Tinsby; 11-05-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
I have a set of these on my 2003 SL500 and they whine like I have 4 snow tire mounted. They all have at least 7/32" left on them as far as tread goes and they aren't feather edged either.

Driving the car with these tires on it really detracts from the fun of it is all I can say.

Why do these tires get so damned noisy with so few miles on them and so much left? Seems I had the same trouble with them on one of my Audi TT's. The tires were worn evenly but were so noisy I had to have them replaced. I didn't choose the Michelins they were on the car when I got it.

My next set of tires will be Bridgestone.

J Tinsby
Change them. I don't like noisy tires either and I especially have an issue with noisy EXPENSIVE tires.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Yup, I tossed out a good set of Pilot Sports because they were really noisy.

The Goodyear Eagle F1s have been a lot better.