Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need help with tire rod question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Need help with tire rod question.

A friend is buying a car and received this info from the seller. The car is not local. The car is a C43 by the way.

The only repairs I know of is the blemish on the front bumper. I did note the tie rod did cup the front left tire a little (new tires). This tire was rescently moved to the rear. There is a hum but should pan out if driven more.

The question is, what does this mean. Especially the part about cupping the front left tire and there being a hum which should resolve. I know nothing about this part of a car. Thanks.

Ted
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
A friend is buying a car and received this info from the seller. The car is not local. The car is a C43 by the way.

The question is, what does this mean. Especially the part about cupping the front left tire and there being a hum which should resolve. I know nothing about this part of a car. Thanks.

Ted
This means you should think carefully about the car. I wouldn't touch it without having a four-wheel alignment done, preferably by a dealer. In my experience it's the only way to really find out what's up with a suspension. Some red flags:
  • Cupping is not an alignment ("tie rod") problem, it's usually a bad strut.
  • The C43 has a staggered tire setup. You can't move a front tire to the rear unless the tires are not original sizes in which case chances are tire wear and handling have been compromised.
  • The "hum" could be anything, but I presume it's vibration which sounds like more evidence of tire or suspension problems.

Last edited by whoover; 11-28-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by whoover
This means you should think carefully about the car. I wouldn't touch it without having a four-wheel alignment done, preferably by a dealer. In my experience it's the only way to really find out what's up with a suspension. Some red flags:
  • Cupping is not an alignment ("tie rod") problem, it's usually a bad strut.
  • The C43 has a staggered tire setup. You can't move a front tire to the rear unless the tires are not original sizes in which case chances are tire wear and handling have been compromised.
  • The "hum" could be anything, but I presume it's vibration which sounds like more evidence of tire or suspension problems.
............thanks!

Ted