Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Little help with getting rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matic
Little help with getting rims

Okay...first my car. I have a 2006 E350 w/4Matic, (Black on black) with the blueish windows.

Next my circumstance. About two days ago I noticed that the right front tire was low (of course I "noticed" this after I'd pulled out of the garage and onto the street AND hit one of the infamous Chicago pot holes. I put air in the tire and went to work. By the time I was off work I noticed that the tire was low again, so I headed to Walmart to have them repair it. Once the Walmart guy got the wheel off he inspected it and showed me a crack going from the inner edge across the middle of the rim.

I called MB to try to get a replacement rim and it was going to be upwards of $400 (after the infamous Chicago tax). my tires are about 300 each after taxes. So now I'm looking at around $700 for ONE rim/tire. I figured I might do better just getting a whole new set of rims/tires.

I've never been a "rims" person, so I'm looking for a bit of direction. I currently have 17" and I'm thinking I'd like to go a little bigger. Maybe 18" or 19" (at the most).

I don't really know what makes a rim "good' in a quality sense or what companies are "good" rim companies. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh also....what size tires should I be looking for? I currently have 225/45/ R17, everyone is mentioning staggering but I'm assuming that's a no go witht he 4Matic. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 211 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The bigger you go the more you increase your chances of wheel damage, because you'll concurrently need to fit tires with less sidewall.

The only way you'll get higher quality wheels than the ones that came with your car will be to pay more. Even then, in the replacement market "quality" may be defined as "lighter" rather than pothole resistant.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by lkchris
The bigger you go the more you increase your chances of wheel damage, because you'll concurrently need to fit tires with less sidewall.

The only way you'll get higher quality wheels than the ones that came with your car will be to pay more. Even then, in the replacement market "quality" may be defined as "lighter" rather than pothole resistant.
Ahhh....I didn't mean that I wanted higher quality than the factory rims. I just want some a bit bigger and with chrome. I just didn't know if there was a big difference between the "quality" of the rims or is it just a style/prestige thing. (i.e. Are less expensive rims more like to be damaged by pot holes?)