Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

need help on Dunlop tires and Carlsson wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
need help on Dunlop tires and Carlsson wheels

anyone know where Dunlop tires and Carlsson wheels manufactured? (in what country)

i bought a new set and gonna bring them in myself. if they are not made in US or CANADA, i will have to pay another 6% duty other than TAX.....this sound stupid to me. so anyone knows where they are made and any Canadian knows what to do with this situation, PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanx
Old 12-12-2002, 03:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carlsson has a distributor in Canada who imports their products directly from Carlsson. It is illegal for you to bring them in yourself, and unlikely that you will find a company willing to do so.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:42 AM

C230K
thank you for your suggestion, but that is nothing to do with my question. bring them in doesn't mean importing them. don't you buy things when you travel to other place? i will see if the distributor in Canada can sue me or put me into jail by bring them in.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:51 AM

C230K
so you think UPS will not ship Carlsson product to Canada if buying from TireRack? or is it illegal for UPS to "bring them in " without the permission of the Canadian distributor"? or TireRack is illegally selling Carlsson product to Canada?

I am not trying to offence you or argue with you.......but if you really think that's against the law. Please update us!!!!!!!!

Last edited by zhaoyi; 12-12-2002 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:37 AM

an import
Carlsson are made in Germany.
I think that Dunlops are made in the US as they are part of Goodyear. Dunlop has two mfg plants: Buffalo, NY and Huntsville, Al.

Don't think that it should be a problem. I know someone that purchased OZ wheels (made in Italy) from TireRack and shipped them to Canada. Don't remember having to pay extra duty for this.

TireRack has rights for Carlsson for NA from what I've been told, so the last time I checked Canada is part of NA. :p
Old 12-13-2002, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm....Fanatic is right. But I've seen my friend's SP9000s which says Made in Germany. But if they have two plants in the US, you should say Dunlop tires are Made in USA when bringing the tires in.

I have been told Tirerack will no longer be Carlsson's North American distributor starting from next year.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:50 AM

an import
Originally posted by Harris
I have been told Tirerack will no longer be Carlsson's North American distributor starting from next year.

Where did you hear that? Do you know who will be replacing them as the official importer of Carlsson parts if this is true?

No disrespect to TireRack but they only seemed interested in the wheels whereas a lot of us are also looking for interior and exterior body mods to go with.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Fanatic
.....whereas a lot of us are also looking for interior and exterior body mods to go with.
Well, I guess Luke will be in a better position to answer this question. Everything that we say here will be pure speculation. But I guess this is one of the reason why Carlsson is ending the distribution relationship with Tirerack, Tirerack cant promote/sell their full product line effectively. And Carlsson is supposed to compete with Brabus, but look at Brabus NA. Maybe they think its time to have a change.

There is a Canadian distributor for Carlsson now. But they mostly do wholesale accounts and take very few retail customers. I am honored that I was granted a Carlsson wholesale account starting starting this month. However, I'm not sure who will be the new distributor of USA. Maybe they'll open a Carlsson North America office???
Old 12-13-2002, 01:32 PM

an import
There is a Canadian distributor for Carlsson now.
Who is the Canadian dist? Maybe this will help Zhaoyi out.
Maybe they'll open a Carlsson North America office???
Ohhhh I hope so. That'll be so off the hook. And finally be able to compete with Brabus and AMG in NA.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At this moment, no one can beat Tirerack's prices on Carlsson wheels because they're having a closeout sale. They just have to get rid of their stocks ASAP. The new distributor has set up the prices pretty high. Check out Carlsson's website and you can find out the name. I dont want to promote a company here.

Zhaoyi is a very smart buyer, he knows exactly where to get what. We dont need to worry about him.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
...The new distributor has set up the prices pretty high. Check out Carlsson's website and you can find out the name.
I just checked and couldn't find the name...care to give me a hint

Last edited by KWiK; 12-13-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by KWiK
I just checked and couldn't find the name...care to give me a hint
You gotta be kidding. Go to Carlsson's site, click "Dealers", click on the "North Amerika" map, bingo! Dont be so lazy! :p
Old 12-13-2002, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
You gotta be kidding. Go to Carlsson's site, click "Dealers", click on the "North Amerika" map, bingo! Dont be so lazy! :p
I pulled a "homer", I was looking on the TireRack site.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bingo. It says Tire Rack
Old 12-15-2002, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Lynn
Bingo. It says Tire Rack
Please re-read my post, I didnt say Tirerack is not the distributor now, I said Tirerack WILL NOT BE the distributor next year!
Old 12-15-2002, 04:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

As of Wednesday, December 4th, Tirerack is no longer the US distributor for Carlsson. They still have some wheels in stock, however they have all been discontinued, and will be rereleased with different finishes and styles.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by Fanatic
Who is the Canadian dist? Maybe this will help Zhaoyi out.
Trend Motoring
Old 12-15-2002, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Mach430
As of Wednesday, December 4th, Tirerack is no longer the US distributor for Carlsson. They still have some wheels in stock, however they have all been discontinued, and will be rereleased with different finishes and styles.
Thanks Ben, you are in a better position to clear this up than me!
Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: need help on Dunlop tires and Carlsson wheels

Originally posted by zhaoyi
anyone know where Dunlop tires and Carlsson wheels manufactured? (in what country)

i bought a new set and gonna bring them in myself. if they are not made in US or CANADA, i will have to pay another 6% duty other than TAX.....this sound stupid to me. so anyone knows where they are made and any Canadian knows what to do with this situation, PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanx
Carlsson is made in germany (far south) duty is 2.5% from there to the US. Try to call the parts "used" and save yourslef some money.

This news about Carlsson and Tire Rack is interesting.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:36 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Actually we chose to end our relationship with Carlsson several months ago ... that's why the pricing has been reduced ... as to other comments about "interior and exterior" products we did have quite few of them .... at one time ....

back to the question at hand

Dunlop tires are produced all over the world ... so look at the tire it will say where it was produced on the sidewall

Carlsson wheels are typically produced in either Italy or Germany but it depends on which company made them
Old 12-17-2002, 09:38 PM

C230K
Thanks to KWik, Harris, Lynn, Mach430, PhucNguyen57, and Luke!

Those of your input are helpful....I appriciate!
Old 12-17-2002, 09:39 PM

C230K
missed you......Fanatic!
Thank You!