Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Track day brake problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 6.9; 2007 CLK350
Track day brake problem

I have a 2007 CLK 350 with the "Sports Appearance Package." After two track days the front pads and rotors had to be replaced. I also get some fade. I used to track an Acura and I found the brakes could handle it but I had to switch to Motul fluid. So, what do I need to do with the MB?

Aside from a minor problem of trying to figure out the best way to work the automatic transmission, everything else is fine. The car actually handles much better than I would have expected.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the OE pads and fluids are not up to track duty .... it's simply the organic friction material which is designed for quiet, smooth operation is not designed for that type of abuse

upgrade to a better brake pad (think Mintex, ATE, etc.) and some high temp fluid and you will undoubtedly see better results ... remeber the CLK is much heavier that the Acura you previously had
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 6.9; 2007 CLK350
I already figured the pads and fluid weren't up to it. I always used stock pads on my Acura, but it was more of a track car. I did have to go to after market fluid to correct a slight fade problem.

However, that isn't the issue. I can't figure why the front rotors would over-heat. The "Sports Appearance Package" is supposed to have better brakes. The fronts have drilled rotors and, I believe, are larger than stock.

I don't think weight explains it. The CLK 350 is supposed to weigh about 3500#, which is pretty light by today's standards and "only" 500# more than the Acura. That's one of the reason I went with the V6 instead of the V8. I am a great believer in the Lotus philosophy.

Everything else works great. I was able to gain on a 6.3 AMG through the twisties, although he blew me away on the straights. But the rotors have me puzzled.