Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need a 'How To Change a Coil Spring' - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B 280E 1984 Anthracite, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 1990
Need a 'How To Change a Coil Spring' - any ideas?

Hi everyone. Newbie here - hope this board is as helpful as Rennlist is for P-cars...

Just became the proud (2nd) owner of a lovely '84 280E auto in anthracite/ black leather. Rust free and just run-in at 145k miles.
Don't know if it was the snap freeze we just had, but yesterday I found the NSF coilspring lying on the ground in two halves, in front of a now low-riding MB. I had driven her once!!

I've been told the new spring can be fitted by undoing the ball joint and and squeezing in the new spring...
...So I've got a new spring, but looking at the set up can't see how it's all going to work.

I need the car back OTR, and my local workshop is off until after hogmanay. Anyone done this repair who could talk me through it?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 : 2007 C230
New springs are fairly easy to install if you have a proper spring compressor. Call your local Klann dealer and ask for the Universal Spring Compressor (KL-0025-1) it works on front and rear axle of your car. You won't even need to remove the wheels to change the springs. You can also try the one from Sir Tools. I can't remember the part number.

Last edited by KWiK; 01-04-2003 at 08:47 PM.