Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Pilot Sport A/S Plus? ContiProContacts? (Question for Luke)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Sport A/S Plus? ContiProContacts? (Question for Luke, others also pls chime in)

Any thoughts/suggestions on the following?

(i) background:

I just bought a W204 C350 with the standard 17-in AMG wheels, and plan to keep my W203 Coupe for the next few years. The Pilot Sport Primacy summer tires on my C230k, however, will soon need replacement (front: 225/45R17; rear: 245/40R17).

The person now driving the C230k coupe 90% of the time favors comfort (ride & noise) over performance, and drives mostly on bad city roads.

Rather than replace the Pilots with another summer tire, I had rather replace them with highish-performance all-seasons that would be a bit more comfortable and less noisy (the Pilot Alpin PA2 winter tires and MM rims that I bought from you for that car three years ago are still excellent and will again be put on this Winter, but summer tires are a no-go for the new driver as she wants flexibility in case of a freak mid-Atlantic snow fall.)

(ii) My C350 came equipped with ContiProContact all-seasons in the same size as the summer tires on the Coupe. Reasonably happy with them after 500 miles, but I am not done with break-in so can hardly judge them re: performance; also, they are a tiny bit noisy on the highway.

(iii) As I have another vehicle (the coupe) with winter tires for the few times when it snows here, I don't want to get Winters for the C350.

(iv) I'd like to have versatility on the Coupe, and to improve the handling and comfort on the C350. Am considering moving the Contis to the Coupe and buying new Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Yokohama Advan s.4 for the C350.

Questions

(a) Would either the Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Yokohama Advan s.4 be more comfortable and less noisy than the ContiPros?
(b) Any better option / other suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance for the reply!

Last edited by ayilar; 09-07-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the new Pilot Sport A/S Plus would be a very good choice given what you are looking for ... another option would be the Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Position from Bridgestone
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Two more questions:

(i) I had thought of the Bridgestones, but can't find them in 245/45R17 on Tirerack. I checked Bridgestone's website, and couldn't find them there either.

(ii) Other than longevity, is there a major difference between then Michelin's PS A/S and the PS A/S Plus?