Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

a little help identifying some rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c55, 08 600rr
a little help identifying some rims

back story goes, so i bought my girlfriend a little 08 vw rabbit to get her around. of course, within weeks, shes all over vw forums checking out cars, parts, etc. we both agree shes definately needs to upgrade the suspension, so i told her to go ahead and look to see what she likes.

i have to admit, the ladys got taste.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3993780

these are the rims she wants to get. apparently this guy has an 08 rabbit also. we tried to contact him and ask about his rims. we asked, what kind of amg rims are those? he replies. they are mercedes wheels.

ooooook. if he doesnt want to share his info, thats fine. no hard feelings. ill just leave it that the guys got one clean looking vw. looks great.

well the girl friend either has real good taste or knows exactly how to pull my strings (probably a little of both), but im trying to figure out what rims these are. im thinking clk 55 rims, but im not quite sure.

also, i am NOT a tire expert nor pretend to know even the slightest bit about it.

even if the bolts mach up perfectly, there are a few things i should be concerned about, correct?

1) how long the bolts are (and of course if the bolts are rounded or acorn style)

2) the offset. the lady tells me she found out her rims are normally a 45 offset.

3) the usually rolling fenders if she gets a coil over set.

4) any other things im missing?

thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 AM

05 c55, 08 600rr
nevermind guys, found them. someone from another forum got the answer to me already.

s55 rims. and the offset almost matches the girlfriends car perfectly. her rabbit 45, these s55 rims 44 and 46.

nice
Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
unfortunately the information you found is lacking ....

The offset is close but, not exact so that will lead to more stress on the bearings and more tramlining.

The center hub of the VW is 57.01 millimeter and the Mercedes is 66.56 millimeter so the wheel will not be hubcentric.

The S55 uses a staggered wheel and tire setup which will induce massive understeer on the VW

The S55 wheels are 9.5" wide in ther rear which will require extensive fender work to avoid rubbing issues

I currently do not have access to the technical drawings of the S55 wheel to verify if the TPM sensors can be properly fit into the wheel

looks are one thing, proper fitment and application are another
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

05 c55, 08 600rr
thanks for chiming in luke.

i dont really understand exactly what you mean by not being hub centric. does that mean i need some sort of adapter to fit the size? if there is one, is this fine to do?

like i said, im no wheel expert by any means. thanks for replying.

sending you a pm!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by genome
thanks for chiming in luke.

i dont really understand exactly what you mean by not being hub centric. does that mean i need some sort of adapter to fit the size? if there is one, is this fine to do?

like i said, im no wheel expert by any means. thanks for replying.

sending you a pm!
you're going to need hub rings.