Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Winter tires for my RWD cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240 & 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP 6MT
Question Winter tires for my RWD cars?

So I should preface this with saying that we have had an extraordinary amount of snow in Seattle compared to what we normally receive and it has made me realize just how hopeless my two cars are in the winter. I currently have a Mercedes C240 and my BMW 330Ci and am trying to decide whether I should get snow tires for one of them or even bother with it at all.

First off, Just how capable is a RWD car in the snow with a good set of Studless Ice & Snow tires?

I still haven't decided if I'm going to put the snow tires on my MB C240 or my BMW 330Ci (which actually has an LSD). It'll probably be the C240 because of ground clearance issues with the 330, but I'm almost sure I'm going to do one of them.

Regardless though, a set of snow tires is going to run me about $650 installed (possibly more or less depending on deals or what car I decide on doing it with) and I can't decide if it is worth it... Currently both cars are absolutely worthless in the snow. The C240 has Michelin Pilot Sport All-seasons and I haven't even attempted the 330 with its Z1* tires.

If the Studless Snow & Ice tires will make my C240 do well in the snow then I'll be all over it, but if its still going to make me want to avoid driving in the snow then I think I'll just sell the C240 this summer and buy an A4 Quattro or MB 4MATIC instead.

SIDE QUESTION: How much does an LSD actually help in the snow on a RWD car? Is my C240 just going to be hopeless as a RWD car with an open diff?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
both cars are very capable in the snow when outfitted with the correct tires ...

here's a link with video proof
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240 & 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP 6MT
@Luke, is the car going to power itself well though with the studless snow & ice tires on?

I've driven with some of my friends in their AWD cars with all-season tires in the deep snow and their cars seem to be able to make it anywhere.

How close would my C240 with winter tires be to not having to worry about getting stuck on light grades (I understand I won't be able to go up big hills)?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
yourcar with the right tires will out perform and AWD car with all-seasons