Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Luke and Tire Experts -- SL55 Tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Luke and Tire Experts -- SL55 Tire question

I have a 2004 SL55 and for some reason my luck with my Michelin PS2's has been limited. I have done my allignments regularly but for some reason the insides on my non lowered car are totally worn (on the shoulder really) while the rest of the tire looks new with 8/32nds of tread. In addition my car is totally unstable and has a wobble or wiggle like I have never seen in a car.

I am having the car worked on right now. I am getting some new control arm bushings and an allignment to try and get the car back to normal but I figure I need new tires as well.

This leads me to my question -- I have 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 tires on RENNtech monolite 19x9 and 19x10.5 wheels.

In that size I have the choice of the following:

1) The new P-Zero
2) PS2
3) Dunlop Sport Maxx GT (SL65 BS tire model)
4) Pirelli P-Zero Rosso

Which would you select and why? I have had terrible wiggle issues since my PS2s went on but they are 05 production tires and may be an older version. I know MB now uses them but they did not use them back in 2005. Have they changed?

The P-Zero looks the best overall but it also costs the most.

That leaves me wondering if I should pick the SL65 BS tire, the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT? It is the cheapest by 400 bucks for the set and it is a MB spec tire as well.

If I wanted to go all MB spec I would go wiht the P-Zero as that is the tire on the SL63.

Luke can you reflect on this and let me know your thoughts?

Lastly will a 265 tire fit up front or am I asking for rubbing issues?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
while you did miss a couple of tires which are available in the sizes you need my money would still go with the PS2 .... your issues with the PS2 could be caused by the bushings and alignment issues you were having. My second choice would be the P-Zero (not the P-Zero Rosso)