Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tires off ebay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Tires off ebay

Seems that tires on ebay ssem, in some cases at least, quite a bit cheaper that from internet retailers. I realise that, in reality, tires should only be stored so long; 6 month I think.

What has everybody's experience been going that route? What pitfalls should one look for (other than the normal seller related ones)?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Seems that tires on ebay ssem, in some cases at least, quite a bit cheaper that from internet retailers. I realise that, in reality, tires should only be stored so long; 6 month I think.

What has everybody's experience been going that route? What pitfalls should one look for (other than the normal seller related ones)?
I've never bought tires from eBay dealers but most, I believe, have local retail stores, too. I've only bought tires from www.tirerack.com and local national chains like Goodyear and FireStone. When I bought my Yokahoma tires two years ago from tirerack, the Goodyear Store where I had them installed claimed they could have given me a comparable deal and that it's better buying from a local tire place, too, if you have any warranty adjustments, etc. I believe buying wheels, however, is another story.......get the best deal where ever you can find it. While buying new wheels for my Volvo, for example, I found the re-manufactured Volvo OEM alloy wheels offered on eBay to be much more expensive than what some of the large online stores had. I just bought four re-man'd 16" Volvo OEM Hydra alloys from www.WheelsAmerica.com for $131 each which an eBay store had listed for $199 - $265 which is almost the price for new ones ($295) at my local Volvo Dealer, and I got free shipping and wheel warranty, too.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
I've never bought tires from eBay dealers but most, I believe, have local retail stores, too. I've only bought tires from www.tirerack.com and local national chains like Goodyear and FireStone. When I bought my Yokahoma tires two years ago from tirerack, the Goodyear Store where I had them installed claimed they could have given me a comparable deal and that it's better buying from a local tire place, too, if you have any warranty adjustments, etc. I believe buying wheels, however, is another story.......get the best deal where ever you can find it. While buying new wheels for my Volvo, for example, I found the re-manufactured Volvo OEM alloy wheels offered on eBay to be much more expensive than what some of the large online stores had. I just bought four re-man'd 16" Volvo OEM Hydra alloys from www.WheelsAmerica.com for $131 each which an eBay store had listed for $199 - $265 which is almost the price for new ones ($295) at my local Volvo Dealer, and I got free shipping and wheel warranty, too.

Do they have a Local shop here in McLean? Wheels America that is!!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by Mathmik
Do they have a Local shop here in McLean? Wheels America that is!!
No WheelsAmerica shop here. All their locations are listed on their Website. For the four reman Volvo wheels I just bought from them, one was shipped from their Houston site, two from their Dallas site, and one from their San Fran site. I took them today to my local Goodyear store where I had bought the tires for my daughter's Volvo and had them demount them from her old wheels and install them on the new Volvo Hydra alloys......look great.

By the way, I found another online wheels site (finishlinewheels.com) that has both OEM and replica OEM wheels for MB. They offer a replica alloy Mercedes 98 AMG Sport Rim 18x8.5 that fits 1994 - 2007 C, E, S, CLK, SLK. It's a replica of the AMG extra wide five spoke design that only fits the older E series, set of four $899; #SYL-98-18-S. I'd post their photo of the wheel but their Website blocks copying their wheels photos. I might have bought these alloys instead of the MB 18" 10 spokes I now have if I had found them back in Jan 2007.