Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

anti-roll bar kit & strut brace for W124 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
anti-roll bar kit & strut brace for W124 ?

What does everyone think about getting anti-roll bars and a front strut brace for a 1995, E320, W124? I found that Eibach makes an anti-roll bar kit, with prices of $446, $499, and $595, depending on the vendor. Of course there are also the "Sportline" bars from the dealer and maybe the E420 bars are bigger than my E320 bars. The Eibachs are 28mm Front and 17mm Rear. I don’t know the diameter of the stock E320 bars or the Sportline bars. Are those Eibachs too big? I saw a post for a CLK, I think it was, and the mounting hardware was ripped right off of his car from using the massive bars. Can the E320 mounting hardware endure the big bars? In addition, I think the Eibachs may come with polyurethane bushings that may require more attention to lubrication and I suppose they don’t flex, so that could add more stress to the stock hardware.

Now what about the struts? So far, I found that Wiechers and Sparko make a strut brace for the W124. Only Wiechers specified the year for the W124, so I am a little unsure about the Sparko. I am not sure if all the W124s were the same at the top of the struts. In the 1995, it is not a straight line from strut-top to strut-top, because the firewall is in the way. I am not planning to cut the firewall, so I hope that the Wiechers brace has a bend of some kind to accommodate this. I will have to find out more about the Sparko.

So what do you know about anti-roll bars and strut braces? Please help me. Last time, when I purchased Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, I found out after they were installed that I needed the K-MAC bushings to fix the rear camber. This time I would like to know more before I buy the stuff. Thanks for your guidance.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Just so you are aware... the Weichers front wheel well stiffener for the W202 (the W202 does not have struts in front so you can't rightfully call it a "strut brace" on that car) requires that the wall in the engine bay (it's not the firewall) be cut for clearance. So, don't assume that the same requirement would not be made for the W124. Maybe someone who actually has one for the W124 could answer this.

-s-
Old 02-02-2003, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I love your list of modifications

To scorchie,
I love your list of modifications. Based on the information that you provided, you know more about cars than I do. Thank you for your assistance. I would appreciate receiving whatever other tips you would suggest.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
Sway bar kits will make a difference! Each MM larger the bar becomes equals 2.5 times in stiffness.

Again I will post this here for you to read about strut braces: http://www.e30m3performance.com/myth...bar_theory.htm

Even though the Spring are in a different location and not on the front struts of a W124 there are still forces straining the body at that point, so I believe that a strut brace could make a small difference, however if you are not racing the car you will probably never feel a difference. You will have to cut part of the secondary firewall to install the brace.