Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Is it possible to make my car drive like new - W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s600
Is it possible to make my car drive like new - W210

I have a 2000 E320 with 114,000 miles. Before this car I had a 1996 E320 so I familiar with what it should ride like. I can remember when the "tightness" of the steering no longer felt the same, but I think it might have been my first tire change. That may be wrong, but it seems every time I get new tires and an alignment, the steering seems a little looser. It's not that it's loose as much as it's not as responsive. I also feel that the ride is not as comfortable. I've taken it into a place that I respect, who specializes in Mercs and they can find nothing wrong. I've taken it back twice.

I have to conclude that the crisp steering and ride are simply a combination of a little this and a little that. I'm running Michelin Primacys and from what I've read, they shouldn't be the problem.

So my long winded question is this. If I replace the lower ball joints, the tie rod ends, the control arm bushings, and maybe the shocks, can I get back to a new car feel or are there other things that prevent it from getting back to that point (ie, you can give an old man a shave and a haircut but he's still an old man)?

Alternatively, what would be the priority items to replace if you were me, assuming none of them have noticeable wear? My car is in beautiful condition and the lack of crisp steering and the smoothest ride bother me no end.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Have you replaced the steering damper? Do that first - it's inexpensive.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 PM

2004 s600
You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Really good idea. Whatever the problem is, it's definitely a subtle change and a steering damper certainly fits the bill.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Did this same exact thing with a W210 E320 with 103k miles on the clock.

I had a car and I got it for 5k. It was a friends car and it was in amazing shape for its age. I know it was cared for with a stack of papers so I kept it instead of letting it go to auction.

First day I had the car I put on new tires.

Then I took WIS and went to town on the suspension. I ordered new everything front and rear. Every rubber bushing was replaced right down to the subframe bushings. New ball joints new new shocks and new steering damper.

After that it was a different car. I sat up .5 inches higher and drove perfectly.

I ended up selling the car to a friend who now has 40k miles on the car. I ended up having 14k invested in the car but it was basically a new car. I replaced the seat pad, steering rack, throttle control unit, etc.

I cant believe how a car needs to be overhauled every 100k miles. This is why a 100k mile old car is worth basically nothing.

Anything rubber = toast in 100k miles. The front control arm busings were totally cracked and destroyed.

Oh I also replaced the wiring harness.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 PM

2004 s600
Thanks. That's the information I was looking for.