Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire Siping, fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2002 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tire Siping, fact or fiction?

My local tire shop is pushing a new product called tire siping. Basically they slice the tire every half inch or so to increase thread life, traction and provide a softer ride. Searching the web I find that all the places where tiring siping is used is in off road applications. Is this pratical for a sedan? Does it do what it's advertise to do? Anyone have experiences with this?
Old 01-24-2002 | 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!

Never heard of that?? But i wouldn't take a chance on it.
Old 01-25-2002 | 10:20 AM

2000 Clk 430
Buellwinkle,
I think there is one tire chain that does that. Tire discounters or someone like that. I would think for snow it would be great but on dry you would have less grip and more squishyness (new word?) on turns. Just my .02
Old 01-25-2002 | 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
I had it done to my tires on my camaro. They tires cool down quicker and the ride was better to me at least. although wet traction was alot better dry traction wasnt beter like they said it would be.
Old 01-25-2002 | 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
on my next set of tires, I'll try it one side to see the difference in wear which they said will make the tires last longer.

Traction is just a bonus...

we'll see...
Old 01-25-2002 | 02:22 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
let's see .... tire design

engineers who design tires and tread configurations spending thousands of hours using multi-million dollar computers, years of experience, untold hours of education, considering which rubber compound will be used in each tire

vs.

the tire buster at the local Discount tire

humm .....

I'll let you decide what my answer will be
Old 01-25-2002 | 03:23 PM

CLK55, Mini S
ummm, yeah I've heard that if you take a blow-torch and heat up the rubber on your tires until it is a jelly-like consistency, you can really get a great grip on the road.

Personally I prefer to get a tube of epoxy and cover my tires with about a half an inch frosting to get the best grip possible. Or if you really want a great road grip, take the tires off of the wheel and drive 1/2 inch metal screws through the tire every few inches all the way around. Do the fronts and the backs.

Oh, and I've heard that if you get your muffler really hot, then stick a water hose up it, and fill it with water, then rev the engine to blow out the water, it will really make it sound bad *** cool dudes...at least it worked on my Camaro...

Old 01-25-2002 | 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by hmrdwn
...at least it worked on my Camaro...

I hope that wasnt a flame towards me!?
Old 01-25-2002 | 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!

hmrdwn!

LOL!!! I love it!! (your response to the thread)

Originally posted by hmrdwn
ummm, yeah I've heard that if you take a blow-torch and heat up the rubber on your tires until it is a jelly-like consistency, you can really get a great grip on the road.

Personally I prefer to get a tube of epoxy and cover my tires with about a half an inch frosting to get the best grip possible. Or if you really want a great road grip, take the tires off of the wheel and drive 1/2 inch metal screws through the tire every few inches all the way around. Do the fronts and the backs.

Oh, and I've heard that if you get your muffler really hot, then stick a water hose up it, and fill it with water, then rev the engine to blow out the water, it will really make it sound bad *** cool dudes...at least it worked on my Camaro...