Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need recomendations for tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E430 SE
Need recomendations for tires...

Have a 2002 E430 that is lowered, and have the rear camber rods and 18" Lorinser wheels. I have been running Kumho Ecsta tires and the rears wear fast. I dont drive aggressively. I have the same tires on my 89 mustang that has 500hp and the tires on it wear fine. But, for some reason, the rears on my Benz wear fast.....evenly, but fast. Why is this?

Is there a better tire I need? My fronts wear fine. I've had the same fronts and have gone through 2 sets of rears. The outer tread on the rears are fine, and the centers wear. I have them at 40psi...same as the fronts. Is there a different tire I should be using?

As I stated, I have the same tires on my Mustang...that I drive the **** out of....but those rear tires last better than the same tires on my Benz. I dont get it? Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Well, a few things to look at:

1. Get a tire with a higher treadwear rating.
2. Proper inflation (looks like you have that covered) check for under/over.
3. The rears will rear out faster due to rear wheel drive, but do know approx. mileage you get out of the rears?

I would go for Michelin tire, such as the A/S Plus 500 TW high performance 45K warranty. My experience has been very good with tread-wear, have them on my CLS. There are others in that size as well.

I did this quick search on your car with 18's:

Discount Tire

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 AM

2002 E430 SE
Thanks bigben. I will never buy another Michelin tire however....had one come apart and it did a lot of damage to my car....they wouldnt do squat about it. Even though it was a tire they have had a lot of problems with (Riken). Appreciate the link! Keep em coming.....

I'm just wondering if I have a problem with my car though since I have had really good treadwear on my mustang with the same Kumho tires. They are Kumho Ecsta SPT 265/35's and they wear really well on my mustang that has way more hp than my Benz. I drive my mustang way harder than I do my Benz....so it doesnt make much sense to me that they wear faster on my Benz.

Last edited by Red66GT; 07-26-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Red66GT
Thanks bigben. I will never buy another Michelin tire however....had one come apart and it did a lot of damage to my car....they wouldnt do squat about it. Even though it was a tire they have had a lot of problems with (Riken). Appreciate the link! Keep em coming.....

I'm just wondering if I have a problem with my car though since I have had really good treadwear on my mustang with the same Kumho tires. They are Kumho Ecsta SPT 265/35's and they wear really well on my mustang that has way more hp than my Benz. I drive my mustang way harder than I do my Benz....so it doesnt make much sense to me that they wear faster on my Benz.
That did have me wondering about proper inflation. Those SPT's I see have a TW rating of 320, perhaps the Yokohama which are at 420?

Another good source, Luke@tirerrack on here, he is a sponsor. Pretty well versed about these issues.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM

2002 E430 SE
Luke? Care to chime in?