Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

tire advice need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire advice need help!

Hi guys, currently i am running 245/35/18 front and 275/35/18 in the rear. Good year eagle F1 assymetric tires. Considered a maximum performance summer tire on tire rack. It has been a decent tire , but the rears have worn out so fast.

I need help on choosing a tire. I want a nice exrtreme performance summer tire because i want the grip and stickiness handling, all of that , but i am tired of of replacing tires every 15k to 20 k miles.

I want a tire with good wear rating but will give me very good handling. I do not want to loose that characteristic. Blowing 800 to 1000 constantly is not cool.

Any advice will be great thank you!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CLK AMG 63 BS
Tires are an area where you DO NOT want to get cheap on. Cheaper tires usually mean they last lass and will sacrifice performance and handling. Tire rack is a great place to research, I have a e63 and the back tires will always wear quickly, I use to have the STOCK Continentals but changed them from the Goodyear F1 which are running great.

In your case, there is a new tire which has a Grade rating of 540AA the highest i've ever seen, its the Continental Extrmeme Contact DWS, its about $240 but it easily has the best treadwear in its class. BUT I wanted to get this tire originally but since its new there are no performance ratings for it, so I went with the Goodyear, another GREAT tire is the Michline Pilot Sport (Amazing Tire), both tires have great performance, and treadwear, a little pricey, but WORTH IT .

Hope I helped

Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
both extreme performance and max perfomance tires wear faster than tirs without as much performance ability. If you want the performance and grip offered by that is type of tire the tread wear you can expect.

tires are a compromise .... want long tread wear expect less grip, want grip and perfromance expect less tread wear ... no tire can do everything

sorry