Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

SL55 AMG Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 05:22 PM
db1
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG Brake Noise

Hi,

I have just got my SL 55 and was wondering whether the brake noise I hear when releasing the brakes is normal.

Basically when braking moderately, not too hard, and then releasing the brakes there is a slight low pitched noise coming from the back. It seems to me to sound like the pads releasing from the disk or perhaps a hydraulic valve closing/opening on the sensotronic.

Does anyone have a similar experience. The car has done around 2500 miles now, and according to the dealer this should go away in normal use. There are no other effects - the brakes seem to operate normally and brake properly.

It is going to the dealer tomorrow to have this checked out.

Any advise welcomed..

DB1
Old 03-08-2003, 12:13 PM

99 C43 AMG & 2008 Corvette 1LT Z51 LS3
A DTB Service Bullitin just came out a couple weeks ago about this. The bracket which holds the Electronic Brake Control Unit needs to be changed. It turns out that the angle of the Control Unit does not allow microbubbles to excape which causes a noise when releasing the brakes. There is an updated Bracket to fix this.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:18 PM
db1
Almost a Member!

Thanks! I will check this out with my dealer...the solution they came up with was to slight lubricate the calipers. This has definitely helped.

Was this fix a general recall or how were Mercedes going to implement this change...

DB1
Old 03-09-2003, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure how they are implementing it. They will either send out letter to owners, or when the customer complains about it, they will fix it. There is no safety issue or concern about it. All it is, is just a very slight gurgle from the brakes as they are released. It does not hurt the performance of the car or the brakes.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:23 AM
db1
Almost a Member!

I checked with my dealer today and he told me that this mod was not required on my car, apparently it was a later build than that which required the mod. Mine was delivered in Dec, when was yours built?

thanks for the info anyway.

DB1
Old 03-10-2003, 05:49 PM

I don't have one, I'm a Tech for a Mercedes Dealer that's how I know about the modification. I'm not sure off hand wich VIN#'s are included in it, but I just thought I would pass the info on to you since you may have been experiencing the same problem
Old 03-12-2003, 04:09 AM
db1
Almost a Member!

OK, thanks for the information and response though - good to know we have you guys watching the boards as this information is hard to come by unless you are on the inside (so to speak)...