Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Bad rear tires for tire rack, can i send them back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Bad rear tires for tire rack, can i send them back?

I bought 4 19" hankooK Ventus V12 from tire rack for my 05 S55 at the end of august. They were installed on the car in november since i was waiting for my new wheels to arrive.

Issue:
At speeds over 60 MPH i get vibration in the seat and legs. I took the car to the dealer to have them check to see if there was something wrong mechanically; they changed the ball joints, control arm, engine and transmission mount, balancing and alignment but the issue still persist.

Balancing:

They recommend doing a road force balance, they did this twice and still the vibration was in the seat. I took it to goodyear and have them do another road force balance but the vibration still exists. Its not in the front or steering wheel but in the seat.

Rear tire conclusion:

The road force balance numbers in the rear were high compare to the fronts. The fronts were below 9 and the rear were 15+. I was told it seems to be defective rear tires.

Question:

Since I just discovered this issues with less than 500 miles on the tires how can Tirerack help out in this situation?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by nachilus
I bought 4 19" hankooK Ventus V12 from tire rack for my 05 S55 at the end of august. They were installed on the car in november since i was waiting for my new wheels to arrive.

Issue:
At speeds over 60 MPH i get vibration in the seat and legs. I took the car to the dealer to have them check to see if there was something wrong mechanically; they changed the ball joints, control arm, engine and transmission mount, balancing and alignment but the issue still persist.

Balancing:

They recommend doing a road force balance, they did this twice and still the vibration was in the seat. I took it to goodyear and have them do another road force balance but the vibration still exists. Its not in the front or steering wheel but in the seat.

Rear tire conclusion:

The road force balance numbers in the rear were high compare to the fronts. The fronts were below 9 and the rear were 15+. I was told it seems to be defective rear tires.

Question:

Since I just discovered this issues with less than 500 miles on the tires how can Tirerack help out in this situation?
During each of the road force balancing did they reseat and relocate the rear tires? Do you know? If yes, did they show you the pre and post printouts? Did they do each individually or did they move the rears side to side?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM

09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
During each of the road force balancing did they reseat and relocate the rear tires? Do you know? If yes, did they show you the pre and post printouts? Did they do each individually or did they move the rears side to side?
I watched them when they were doing it, they mount the wheel on the hunter machine; marked it then deflate and move the tire on the rim to a new position place it back on the machine and re-balance. All the balance came out to OK on the machine. They did each individually, keep in mind they did the same to the front tires and they are smooth. I didn't see the pre but i saw the post.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I watched them when they were doing it, they mount the wheel on the hunter machine; marked it then deflate and move the tire on the rim to a new position place it back on the machine and re-balance. All the balance came out to OK on the machine. They did each individually, keep in mind they did the same to the front tires and they are smooth. I didn't see the pre but i saw the post.
Interesting. Too bad you didn't see pre numbers.

I had a similar issue with a set. They marked them, then broke'em loose and repositioned them in accordance with the marks on the screen prior to putting on balancing weights. But prior to inflating/seating they reapplied some more of that "soapy" water. The tech explained to me that sometimes with low profile tires they need a little more of that stuff in order to get the numbers to come out right, go down (get the tire to seat properly on the rim).
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Interesting. Too bad you didn't see pre numbers.

I had a similar issue with a set. They marked them, then broke'em loose and repositioned them in accordance with the marks on the screen prior to putting on balancing weights. But prior to inflating/seating they reapplied some more of that "soapy" water. The tech explained to me that sometimes with low profile tires they need a little more of that stuff in order to get the numbers to come out right, go down (get the tire to seat properly on the rim).
You know what's puzzling is that the front tires are good. I spent a lot of money on the wheels, tires and all this balancing and diagnostics. Lets see if tire rack can provide me with a new set of rear tires.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Tire Rack please comment

You know what's puzzling is that the front tires are good. I spent a lot of money on the wheels, tires and all this balancing and diagnostics. Lets see if tire rack can provide me with a new set of rear tires.
Any update or course of action from tirerack?