Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

A question for the experts on tire selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Magnum
A question for the experts on tire selection

A few of you guys know me from the track and the Challenger I built for Trojan. Well I have another super street Challenger going together that I would very much appreciate some input on tire selection for it.

The build is another SC'd 426 that will push between 650-680 at the rears and will be a full blown street car. The entire suspension has been upgraded with Pedders bushings and I am installing a true coil over system front and rear and moving away from the rear spring and damper set-up. This will allow me to build a mini-tub for the rear and run up to a 345 width rear tire. I am fortunate to have a fantastic wheel manufacture that can provide either a forged 19" or 20" rim combo at the correct off-set.

Now here's my dilemma. I need some meats. My original intention was to run the Pirelli Pzero Corsa in a 345/35/19 rear a matching front. For those that may not be aware, that comes in a 60 AA A rating. Another words, give me sticky or give me death (or would that me my customer)

But considering this crowd has had much more experience with the highend fat rubber, I figured I'd ask the experts. What would you suggest?.

Thanks guys, Cam

Last edited by LXCam; 01-06-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
The Corsa is a very sticky tire as is the Pilot Sport Cup but, considering the application the Corsa would be a better choice. While the Pilot comes in a 345 width it is physically shorter as it is a 30 series not a 35.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Magnum
Thanks Luke, I ended up going with the 345/35/19 Corsa. The pilot's were only a 335/30/20 @220 and I wanted the additional side wall and the 60 rating. I know 1/2" doesn't sound like much, but it helps. And we even found 5 sets for sale for 9 bills a set. So we bought 4.