Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

22" wheels - WHY vs 21"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes 2011 CLS550 with AMG package
Question 22" wheels - WHY vs 21"

22" wheels - WHY vs 21"

I have a question.......
It seems that everyone who installs 22" wheels on a car (not a SUV) has some issues with either rubbing or just curbing, flat tires, bent wheels from pot holes etc ...........

it seems that the tuner's that specialize in modifications install 21" wheels on the higher end cars and there seems to be less issues.

I know that we (including myself) follow the rule: Funtion follows form, whcih means we dont really care how the wheels perform, they look better.

For those of you that are oin the wheel biz, why do they not make more one piece 21's (ie vossen).

I am fighting the battle of form follows function. I have always had aftermaket wheels on all my cars, BUT never a set of 22's on a car. I have 20's on my e and 19 & 20 on the ferrari, even wifey has 20's on her s550. The sidewall is enough not to have to worry about a manhole cover. I am not sure it is worth the effort to install 22's on the wify / kid car and have to deal with the HONEY, I have a flat . . . . . . and she is very good about curbs etc.

So any reason why there are less options for 21's (inexpensive) vs 22's in wheels and tires ???
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM

2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
Originally Posted by RobertM
22" wheels - WHY vs 21"

I have a question.......
It seems that everyone who installs 22" wheels on a car (not a SUV) has some issues with either rubbing or just curbing, flat tires, bent wheels from pot holes etc ...........

it seems that the tuner's that specialize in modifications install 21" wheels on the higher end cars and there seems to be less issues.

I know that we (including myself) follow the rule: Funtion follows form, whcih means we dont really care how the wheels perform, they look better.

For those of you that are oin the wheel biz, why do they not make more one piece 21's (ie vossen).

I am fighting the battle of form follows function. I have always had aftermaket wheels on all my cars, BUT never a set of 22's on a car. I have 20's on my e and 19 & 20 on the ferrari, even wifey has 20's on her s550. The sidewall is enough not to have to worry about a manhole cover. I am not sure it is worth the effort to install 22's on the wify / kid car and have to deal with the HONEY, I have a flat . . . . . . and she is very good about curbs etc.

So any reason why there are less options for 21's (inexpensive) vs 22's in wheels and tires ???
I'm having the same dilemma, not with 22's, but with 21's, since the recommended max size to go on a CLS anyway, is 20". What im finding out is that 21" is an odd size, so finding a 21" tire in the spec that you want is the big issue, not many tire manufacturers make 21" tires, and worse, in the specific measurments that your looking for.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM

mercedes 2011 CLS550 with AMG package
I called one of the wheel manufactures this morning and he actually agreed that 22's are WAY too big for the car (s550). BUT they sell !!! !!! and that is why they build them. Everyone wants what their friends have

Funny thing is you have a $100k car and then install a wheel that is NOT designed for the car. It rides like crap, tons of issues with flat tires, bent wheels etc etc. BUT LOOKS great.

EVERY time I am in the wheel shop getting tires etc, there are wheels that are getting repaired. The wheel guys think it is funny and if they are honest they will tell you that the 22's are too big for daily drivers. If it was a show car . . . . . . then no issues. On my other cars E350 20" and the Ferari 19 & 20's on the rear - no issues

I have a set of 20" from EuroSport (munich design) and they look great BUT I want something a little more aggressive.

I am sooooooooo confused. If it was my daily driver I would most likely get the 22's and deal with the crap that goes along with the issues. BUT for wifey; I will look for a set of pre-owned 21's etc.

If I had a wheel compnay I would build a wheel that is in demand and the first company that offers a one piece affordable deep dish wheel at 21's will make a fortune.

The cost difference between a set of 21's (3 piece) vs 22's is $4,000
Same issue with tires.

I still dont get it.