Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Run Flat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merecedes c200k 2009
Run Flat

Hello everyone.
I live in Dominican Republic. I owned a C200k 2009. The model Mercedes Benz sell here does not use sensors on the wheels. The air pressure is monitored by a balance that calculates the velocity of rotation of the tires. When this changes, it sends you an alert that you have to check air pressure, but does not tell you wich tire or the tire inflation of each tire. My question is, if i install run flat tires, the system would tell me if i tires looses air? I ask this because the runflat tires keep the shape without air on it and the car may not know that?
Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Originally Posted by sebydeleon
Hello everyone.
I live in Dominican Republic. I owned a C200k 2009. The model Mercedes Benz sell here does not use sensors on the wheels. The air pressure is monitored by a balance that calculates the velocity of rotation of the tires. When this changes, it sends you an alert that you have to check air pressure, but does not tell you wich tire or the tire inflation of each tire. My question is, if i install run flat tires, the system would tell me if i tires looses air? I ask this because the runflat tires keep the shape without air on it and the car may not know that?
Thanks.
I'm not a fan of run flats. When they have no air, there is still a slight sag in the tire, but it really depends on the profile. The lower the profile, the less they deform. Some people have had flats on low profile run flats and never even knew it. I personally wouldn't go with them.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
your TPMS system will still be functional with runflat tires. Both BMW and Audi utilize an indirect TPMS system on some models with and without runflat tires.