Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rim bent and cracked, is it fixable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Rim bent and cracked, is it fixable?

I have 18 inch AMG monoblock rims on my S55. I hit a bad pothole, and it bent the rim in two places, and in one of the bends, it actually cracked part of the rim like 4 inches across the rim of the wheel.

I know they can be unbent, but what about the crack? Do I need a new wheel now? Is it dangerous driving it like this, or will the tire not escape or anything like that?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
There was an interesting article in Mercedes Benz Classic magazine about damaged alloy wheels. Their position (house magazine so MB) is that any damage like a crack which extends into the rim flange means the wheel is unrepairable.

If it were me, I would replace the wheel. That way you'll feel comfortable driving the car to it's full potential.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah, that's what I will end up doing. Any good sources for buying only 1-2 single wheels? I know eBay or the forums, but any stores also sell single wheels?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
BTW, if the damaged wheel is still mounted you might want to put on the spare. If it fails while driving it could be expensive or worst - dangerous.

No stores I know of but you might try googling. Keep an eye on Classifieds at this and other MB sites. Also do a search first time. I had a guy contact me a year after I posted some items and I still had what he was after.

With eBay and CL be a little careful. AMG stuff is pricey and some people can make a fake. Always confirm part no. on back of rim. And if it's coming off a parting out car check the VIN (at the Russian site) to see if the car came with the AMG package. You might also PM Luke at this forum to see if he has any ideas.

It may take a while. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 AM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Thanks - do you know if the spare in an S55 AMG has the same rim? I will open it up tomorrow and check, but just curious.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by rondocap
Yeah, that's what I will end up doing. Any good sources for buying only 1-2 single wheels? I know eBay or the forums, but any stores also sell single wheels?
Where is your location ?. I had a spare S55 (W220 body), unuse (has some minor scratch on the edge, due to shoddy work of the tires shop when they dismount the tire). Here are some info on the rim : 8.5x18ET44, made in austria, part # A 220 401 3402. I am in SoCal. If this is the rim you looking for, PM me.