Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tires for a C63 - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Tires for a C63 - couple of questions

First off, I live in the DC metro area, so we get snow.. sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

I am still looking at straight up performance summer tires, and plan on using chains come winter for crappy weather (most likely the Thule).

Most of the tires I have looked at have noted that they are not intended for use in near zero weather, snow and ice...

Question, is this due to the tread pattern and not providing any traction, or the tire compounds being significantly effected by cold (ie getting really really hard...)

As for tire selection, going with a 245/35/18 and 275/25/18 size range, probably Direzza Star Spec, Conti AW's or the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110... Not limited to those if anyone has a better selection.. and yes, I have searched the forums, and the recommendations are all over the place...

However, the initial question is more what I am interested in.. Running those tires in extreme cold weather with chains when needed, will this be a problem or not...
Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
tires not designed to be used in cold weather have a vastly different rubber compound than there all-weather counter parts. I have seen more than a couple of examples of summer tires which were severely damage from cold weather use as many of those summer rubber become hard and brittle when exposed to sub-freezing temps.