Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

DIY Brake Pad replacement Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
DIY Brake Pad replacement Help

OK. I got the Akebono rear brake pads.
The brake mechanism is free and I can see a pin holding the pads in place.

Now what?
Is there a step-by-step instructions or photos that show what else needs to be done to get the pin out...what precautions to take, etc? I'm pretty confident about doing this DIY style but...just don't want to make a mistakes. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 PM

CLS
Tap the pin out and re-install the pads. make sure you take a wire brush to the hub if you replaced the rotor and or even just pulled the rotor off. Replace the wire also, don't re-use. They are only $20 bucks at NAPA.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 AM

CLS
of yea, make sure you turn the key to Z2 leave on for 5 seconds, then turn off. All of that done with the doors shut and the driver window down. Spin the rear wheel in the correct direction for enough rotations until the brake stops the wheel on it's own. The same proceedure on the front. It will flash the rear brake lights three times or they will stay on solid for a couple of min. That's the only way to get the esb to re engage without STAR.

Do a search here on the forum. I believe someone posted the entire proceedure in a pdf a few years back.