Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Repairing a cracked wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS 63 030 package 2011 C63 1997 Dodge Viper GTS
Repairing a cracked wheel?

I have a 2007 CLS 63 with the 030 package with the two piece wheels.
The rear is bent with a cracked inner lip.
Can it be welded and will it be safe to drive on?
I have done some researched with some conflicting reports.
If so can anybody recommend a wheel repair shop in SO CA?
Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I can tell you from past experience, the wields will not hold. I have had my aluminum wheels wielding by a friend that is a certified wielder, and they refractured at the wield seem, not once but twice. So I just bought a new wheel, the wield will never be as strong as the original part. And the filler material must be the same metal as the wheel to work. It may work for you, but from my experience, it didn't favor me. Are you wheels aftermarket or OEM? If they are aftermarket, you could contact the manufacurer for a replacement part. I would google wheel repair for SoCal, and see what pops up. I is worth a shoot, to examine all your options before pulling the trigger on a new wheel. Good Luck
Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLS 63 030 package 2011 C63 1997 Dodge Viper GTS
Thanks for the response. I already purchased a set of HRE's but I want to fix or replace the OEM wheel.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 AM
hba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out

wheelcollision.com

Herman
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
It's late, but I hope you did not get crack welded.

You cannot repair a cracked Al wheel by welding. The reason being is the crack has reduced the cross sectional area of the wheel and weakening it. Therefore it is more prone to cracking by fatigue, not impact. A weld only acts as filler and does not strengthen the wheel. In fact the weld seam can make the alloy more prone to cracks by hardening it. The hardened area is less able to stretch along with the rest of the wheel when a load is applied, and thereby making it a crack initiation point. The wheels won't last any longer than if there were nothing done to repair them at all.
Hope you had good luck finding new wheels.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Good News! - Remedy for cracked wheels due to casting defects (no sign of impact).

I checked with ALCOA - the largest producer of Al alloy for cast and forged auto and truck wheels - and they say no repairs (welds) can be made on a wheel that remove the danger of a cracked wheel splitting open.

Also -
The Federal Government States: “If a safety-related defect exists, the maker must fix it at no cost to you – even if your warranty has expired.” Quoted from the USA.gov Consumer Action Handbook.
Wheel cracks are safety related aren't they? So it's worth the effort. If you have cracked wheels and your dealer will not replace them or give you the price to replace them, then give them a look at this document. (It can be downloaded or ordered at “publications.USA.gov”.)
Further, if there is no sign of impact to the wheel, it has been determined that a defect has caused the crack (by fatigue as I have mentioned.)
Of course the wheels will have to be inspected by a MB Dealer. And don't expect help from them. Deal directly with MB. Contact them through their website.
Of course you don't want a replacement because it might have the same defect as the original. Ask for the price it would cost to replace them.
I will give more detail as I get the chance. In the meantime, good luck!