Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

New tire lost pressure, and is it still OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
New tire lost pressure, and is it still OK?

So I got 4 new tires today, and had them mounted. After a little bit of driving, I stopped, and pulled over to check them.

One of the tires was almost flat, down to around 4 PSI and sagging on the floor. There was a hiss coming out of it. I filled it back up to normal PSI, and drove to a place to check it out.

They said that there was some air escaping through a bead in the tire, I guess some corrosion on the rim got a bit of the tire bead and made it leak air. The tire was driven on a bit with the low PSI, it did get a little bit of the lettering on the side scrapped off, but nothing too deep - the guy said it seemed fine, no bubbles, etc. He resealed it, and filled it back up, and it seems fine.

Is the tire really fine after all of this, or should I try and get it changed for a new one? I got it from tirerack. Will this tire be safe? It seems fine now.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 ml350 4matic
sounds like it wasn't mounted correctly. i had the same issue before. the tire shop didn't mount the tire correctly as that was what they told me. they remounted the tire and works like new. just as long as the tire now is holding air, you should be fine.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah, I believe it was not mounted correctly, either. It's holding air now, so it should be fine.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
This is a picture of the damage, the rim/tire are a little dirty from the installation grease and brake dust, but you can see a bit of the rubber was edged off. The guy who looked at it said it was fine and no damage was done to the internals, so is it just cosmetic at that level?
Attached Thumbnails New tire lost pressure, and is it still OK?-photod2.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 PM

09 ml350 4matic
if there was cosmetic damage i would have them replace the tire with a new one. you pay money to have them mount and balance your tires and you should expect the job to be done right the first time. thats just me though...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I just ordered the new tire - and I am very impressed with tirerack! I called them, and told them what happened, and they said no problem, Continental has a warranty/road hazard program for any reason - so they are sending me a new tire, and will credit me back that tire when I send my old one back in.

Awesome! That resolves it.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:31 PM

09 ml350 4matic
glad to hear all went well. i am looking at a set of conti's on tirerack and will be ordering them soon for my new 18"