Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

s550 w/4Matic Wheel and Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S550 4Matic
s550 w/4Matic Wheel and Tire Questions

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and to MB, but I was hoping I could get a little advice. I recently got a 2007 S550 4Matic. While I love the car, I thought the stock 18" wheels made it seem like my Dad's car as opposed to my own. I loved the AMG 5-point wheels that come on the S63, so I went out a bought a set of those.

Now I have read enough to know that getting a staggered set up on a 4matic is not really a good thing so I did wind up getting a non-staggered set of 19" AMG wheels. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some folks might chime in on:

1. I am assuming that the 19" wheels will be fine on that car even though it does not have the sport package. At the dealer, my service adviser thought that it would have a pretty harsh impact on overall ride quality considering the fact that that I would have to get a fairly low profile tire on such a heavy vehicle.

2. I live in the Washington DC area and we see some snow every year. I don't intend to be blasting though any heavy snow, but if I get caught somewhere, I need to have some mid-level snow management ability. The question really is that I would like to stay with an all season sort of tire rather than a set of summer and winter tires. Does anyone have any recommendations? My initial thought was some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

3. Does anyone have any tire size recommendations? My wheels are 19"x8.5 and my guy at Tire Rack recommended 255/35-19's all around. Since my wife will be driving this car a lot, she likes to have a smoother ride. Understanding that I lose some options by going up to 19" and a lower profile tire, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a tire size.

Let me know if this is too much crap to stuff into a single post and I will take it easy next time. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by khan.rick

1. I am assuming that the 19" wheels will be fine on that car even though it does not have the sport package. At the dealer, my service adviser thought that it would have a pretty harsh impact on overall ride quality considering the fact that that I would have to get a fairly low profile tire on such a heavy vehicle.

2. I live in the Washington DC area and we see some snow every year. I don't intend to be blasting though any heavy snow, but if I get caught somewhere, I need to have some mid-level snow management ability. The question really is that I would like to stay with an all season sort of tire rather than a set of summer and winter tires. Does anyone have any recommendations? My initial thought was some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

3. Does anyone have any tire size recommendations? My wheels are 19"x8.5 and my guy at Tire Rack recommended 255/35-19's all around. Since my wife will be driving this car a lot, she likes to have a smoother ride. Understanding that I lose some options by going up to 19" and a lower profile tire, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a tire size.
1. You probably will not feel ANY degradation in ride by going from 18s to 19s on S-class. You would feel some harshness by going to 20s, but nowhere close to what you were told at your dealership. Remember, 19s and 20s are options on S550 with AMG body package.

2. Agree, Pilot Sport A/S Plus are the best tires for year round for conditions you'll encounter.

3. Are you sure about that 255/35-19 size? Highly doubt TireRack suggested that size for S-class. Correct size is 255/40-19 for your car.
255/35 would be the size for 20s, not 19s.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
My stock 19' amg wheels came with 255/40/19 on all four. I also have an 4matic,and I'm running 22's wheels,staggered. I feel no difference having a staggered set up?