Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Storing tires upright?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Question Storing tires upright?

So, for the first time I am without at least one 4wd vehicle. And here in the NE, we are having more snow events than we've had here in quite some time...
So, dedicated snows on rims for both cars (Jetta TDI Sportwagen is the other) and storing the mounted all-seasons in the garage till they can go back on when the weather gets nicer.
I can see why you wouldn't want unmounted tires to be stored laying flat in a stack- squeezing the beads together and maybe imparting some memory into the radial cords...
...But what about storing mounted tires laying flat? And maybe tossing something else on top of the stack? I am looking for more efficient use of my limited garage space here. Anyone care to explain the rationale behind stacking them upright?
...Also, should they be kept at their normal pressure or let down some?
Thanks for any help!

Best wishes,
-Mike
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Stacking 4 tires with wheels is not too heavy. 4 is my limit. You could also stack 4.

If anything, store them with higher pressure. Mercedes says that 3 psi more than the recommended is actually their recommended for better handling. Driving them increases psi. So storing them with 5 psi more is no big deal. That would help if you stack the tires. If you don't stack, the added psi is still good. For cars that are stored, increasing the psi is recommended per another European car maker.