Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Wheels/tires for new E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Wheels/tires for new E500

I just got an E500 (the nonsport version). I live in the DC area, and every few years, as was the case last winter, there is a fair amount of snow on the ground. Also, many of the roads are in poor condition. Because of the snow, I am thinking of getting winter tires, and I would also get new wheels so that I could change them myself. I also understand that there are better tires available than the Contis that came with the car. It occurred to me that I could get new wheels and new regular tires, and then mount winter tires on the wheels which came with the car.
Having looked at Tirerack, I liked the looks of the BBS CH 17x8.5s, and I have read and heard good things about Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss. Next fall I will deal with choosing winter tires.

Is there any performance-related reason to get larger wheels? Given the low quality of the roads, are these wheels any more susceptible to damage? Any suggested alternatives?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing bigger wheels is always for the look more than anything else. Performance-wise....you will have some improvement during cornering and launching. If the roads are pretty bad in your area, getting bigger wheels will increase the chance of damaging your wheels. It is because bigger wheels will have a thinner sidewall and the wheels can be bent more easily when running over potholes or poor roads. But I think you should be fine of getting 18" wheels. 19" will definitely be a No-no!

And I guess you have to ask yourself how much are you prepare to spend. BBS CH is very nice, however, I think they look way too sporty for the W211. I would suggest you to get some more "elegent" looking wheels like the AMG 18" Style IV double spoke or the Brabus 18" Monoblock VI. And if you are only thinking of getting 17" wheels, I think you should not change it. The difference is not that big between 16" and 17".
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is an all-season tire. If you are going to use two sets of wheels, there is no need to put all-season tires on any of them. Summer time uses pure performance summer tires, winter time uses pure snow tires.

My suggestion is: use the stock wheels for winter and put winter rubber (Pirelli Winter 210 or Bridgestone Blizzak) on them. Get a set of nice 18" wheels and put summer tires (Toyo T1-S, Bridgestone S-03 or Michelin Pilot Sport) on.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
welcome ctemkin,

As a fellow DC driver I know your pain when it come to bad *** streets and sometimey snow storms. A few years back I put Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires on my E430 and we got no snow.

Harris is right if you are going to have 2 set of wheels don't mess around with All-Season meats. Get some winter tires for your stock wheels and get Summer tires for your new wheels. If you are not going to track you car and it is not really in the High Performance category like an E55 save yourself some money and get some tires in the "Ultra High Peformance" category rather than the "Maximum Performance" tires. Consider the Ultra High Performance tires like:

Bridgestone RE750
Dunlop FM901
Yokohama ES100

Don't rule out the 17" upgrade either. That is ok considering our area. The switch to 18" will not give you the comfort and supple ride you had on those 16". Even a upgrade to 17" will make the car ride somewhat harder. Also these 17 & 18" tires are more noisy and some hum.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 05-13-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Just to clarify a couple of things. The stock wheels are 17x8.5. I thought of using the Pilot Sport A/Ss as "summer" tires over the Pilot Sports because the A/Ss have almost the handling and performance of the Pilot Sports and have better wet performance, road noise, and wear characteristics (this according to Michelin's website). My wife has Pilot Sports on her E430 and likes them. I am quite willing to consider other brands or models, but I consider tire performance a safety factor, and I am willing to spend a little more if that means getting a real improvement.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Whoa!, I am surprised that your wife has an opinion about tires. Most people are not conscience or remotely aware of what tire they have.

Taking the issue of safety in mind varies from person to person and situation to situation. Most people usually think because the tire is more expensive it is better or safer. It may be better for certain things but tire factors are so many which factors is most important? Perhaps the Pilot Sport is considered the "best" tire Michelin makes does not mean it is the right tire for all applications.

Quite frankly, the Pilot Sport which is a Maximum Performance Tire on your wife's E430 is really overkill. That car nor your wife's driving style and ability probably warrant that much or type of tire. That tire is for High Performance cars like AMG cars and cars like BMW M5's and M3, etc.