Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Do new car tires have $$$ value if swapped upon delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Do new car tires have $$$ value if swapped upon delivery

Expecting my 2012 E350 Coupe to be delivered within the next 3-4 weeks.

If I want the dealer to install a different make of tires from those which come with the car, is it reasonable to expect an allowance for the almost-unused OEM tires, does the dealer just consider them used and of no value for re-sale, or does it vary by dealer?

Any opinions or actual experience appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
On a Mercedes they should indeed have value--especially since they will be the best tires ever fitted to the car.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by lkchris
On a Mercedes they should indeed have value--especially since they will be the best tires ever fitted to the car.
Thanks for your reply.

Since 2010, MB has been shipping this model with one of three different tire makes. Most seem to be coming through with Pirelli P Zero Nero's, some with Conti Tires - not sure which, but probably one of their UHP all-season types, and on some '11 E350 Cabs the Michelin Primacy MXM4's.

I drove the P Zero Nero's and did not like the ride quality one bit. Very harsh, with the already stiff sport suspension I'm getting as part of the optional Appearance Package. In addition, some folks have reported poor tread wear. Reports are no better for the Conti's depending on which model.

On tirerack.com the MXM's are very highly rated in the categories I care about, ride, noise and tread wear. They score very well in the other categories as well.

I've never met a Michelin tire I didn't like, so thinking about swapping at delivery and just wondering what dealer policy generally is about making $$$ allowances for the OEM tires before I check with my dealer.

I appreciate your input.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Ask lkchris how much his stealership would give you for them.

In reality its totally up to the stealership what they would do if anything. Remember to take into account that they would charge you for R&R two sets of tires + balancing 1 set, etc most likely.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Your best bet is to sell the almost new tires on eBay or Craigslist. The dealership will have no use for them. If they were to offer you anything for them, it'd be a kind gesture rather than a matter of policy.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by lkchris
What? What kind of BS is this - tire is a tire (fitted to MB or Hundai, does not matter)?

BenzMan369,

By far most (if not all) MB sales departments do not want to deal with this. Even if they'll do it, you'll be charge a full retail (and then some) on tires, 2 hours on labor (over $200) while giving you peanuts for OEM tires.

I would do the following:

1. take delivery as is,
2. then swap to the tires of your choice on your own (not thru dealership's parts and service departments - you can not beat TR for prices and they have thousands of "recommended" installers country wide at half or less of what MB service would charge),
3. then sell OEM tires on your own.

A bit more work on your part - yes, but IMO well worth a few hundred $$$ you'll save.

Last edited by threeMBs; 07-21-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Many thanks to you all for the replies.

I too suspect the OEM tires would not be of value to the dealer. I seem to remember many years ago I was told that even if there are 5 miles on them, they cannot put them into inventory and are considered used and worthless. I will of course confirm this when I call.

Yes, selling them myself is a sensible option, except I'm getting lazy in my "old age."

I guess the next most sensible option is as suggested by threeMBs. Take delivery, drive the car (in the unlikely event that the ride may not seem all that harsh to me in the '12) and order the MXM's from Tire Rack. Keep the OEM's as spares or build up the energy to sell them on line.

As for getting them installed, my dealer has never robbed me on tire changeovers. I've switched winter-all season tires over for several years and the charge is never more than about $100-125. They do an absolutely perfect balancing job, using some kind of very expensive machine that apparently some, but not all (?) MB dealers have. So, I'd feel comfortable having them do it.

I'll give the salesman a call next week and report back, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again.