Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

soft areas on tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
soft areas on tires?

I just took my car in for service, thinking I had a warped rotor because I could hear a 'whump, whump, whump', especially when slowing down (like 20mph to 10mph). The Tech (actually the shop foreman) put the car on the lift and found 3 'soft areas' on the tire (Conti Sport Contacts w/ 19,000 miles). He said it's like they wore uneven or something inside has given in and caused part of the tire to be soft. It causes a small vibration, but isn't noticable at high speed.
He said he's never seen it before. Anyone had this happen? Is it ok, or should I be givin' Luke a call? TIA
Old 06-05-2003, 04:34 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
huh ??????? a soft area in a tire ????? I could believe a flat spot from extended time sittnig in 1 position or possible a long skid or even a tire out of round but, what you were told makes no sense
Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
Luke,
I said 'huh', too! I asked him if they were flat spotted and he said that no, you can't see it in the tread. He said the only way to feel it is to spin the wheel and let it run your hand, and then you can feel 3 dips in the roundness (I didn't because it was off the lift). It's never sat for more than a day, and I've never locked up the brakes. He said it's like it's come apart inside? He's never seen anything like it, and he's been a mechanic for 26 years.

Thanks for your feedback...