Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Offset got me crazy! Need help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
Offset got me crazy! Need help...

Hi

I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my W203. Maybe AMG or Brabus. I have read and learnt from several places (including this board) about the offset, and finally I got confused.

As said on TireRack (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm), "If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected."

I don't know what offset my car has (if anyone know, please tell). Let's say (for example) ET 30.

The AMG dual spoked wheels (Styling IV) that can fit my car (according to AMG web site at http://www.mercedes-benz.com/amg/e/f...ichtmetall.htm) are...

AMG dual spoked wheel (Styling IV)
7,5 x 17 ET 37 tyre size 225/45
8,5 x 17 ET 34 tyre size 245/40 (only RA)

AMG dual spoked wheel (Styling IV)
7,5 x 18 ET 37 tyre size 225/40
8,5 x 18 ET 30 tyre size 255/35 (only RA)

AMG dual multi-pieced spoked wheel (Styling IV)
8,5 x 18 ET 30 tyre size 225/40 (only FA)
8,5 x 18 ET 30 tyre size 255/35 (only RA)

You see? These wheels have several offset site, but according to Trirerack.com, the offset of the wheels need to be exactly the same as the original wheels otherwise the handling can be adversely affected. So, if the offset of my original wheels is 30, I will need only ET 30 wheels to replace, right?

Am I missing something here? Maybe I misunderstood something. Please help. I already spent almost a week finding info on the Internet. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to help out and answer your questions, but I think I should let Luke to answer you first because he represents Tirerack.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:05 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
while the offset used should keep the centerline of the wheel in the same position you can vary a little .... in your example if you do the math the CL of the tire is in approx. the same position and the only offset change listed was to accomodate a wider wheel which in turn would utilize a wider tire
Old 06-09-2003, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your stock wheels should have ET37 front and ET30 rear. Anything in between these figures will do fine. I think you should decide on what wheels you're going to buy (size and style) and how much you're going to spend rather than figuring out the offset issue.

All of us in here will give you a hand as to which one will fit and which one wont. There are many many wheels out there which can be fitted on your car. Just pick a few first....and we'll go from there. Good luck!! :p
Old 06-09-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Per the information from Luke and Harris, and the fact you are trying to fit AMG wheels, you will get something that will fit.

Here is an offset calculator:

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

You can input your original offset and wheel width, then the program will determine how much difference from the original to new will be. As you input the various widths and offsets for the AMG wheels specified, you will see the inside and outside clearances will vary a few mm. Hence, fitting Luke's explanation.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
Thank you.

So, what I have learnt from you are
1) Offset may not need to be EXACTLY the same as the original wheel from showroom.
2) Offset can be altered a few millimeters. (how far can I go, anyway?)