Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Pinholes in Rims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinholes in Rims?

Is this a common problem in rims? I would think manufacturing would have become good enough to prevent pinholes.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Pinholes in Rims?

Originally posted by 500AMG
Is this a common problem in rims? I would think manufacturing would have become good enough to prevent pinholes.
Please post a pic, I would be interested to see what u are talking about.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not on my car...but my mom's. Basically there is 1 or a couple of tiny tiny holes in one of the wheels that is causing air to leak. To the tune of 1-1.5 PSI per week. This happened to another wheel of her's about 1 1/2 years ago. I was just wondering if this type of wheel defect is common or can happen easily...because it has never happened on one of our cars before.

The mechanics found the problem by washing the wheel w/ soap and water (to see the air bubbles)...you wouldn't be able to tell by a picture.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
sounds very odd....r u sure the rim isn't out of round ...other than a nail in the tire, that's usually the reason air leaks out...
Old 06-16-2003, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by 500AMG
It's not on my car...but my mom's. Basically there is 1 or a couple of tiny tiny holes in one of the wheels that is causing air to leak. To the tune of 1-1.5 PSI per week. This happened to another wheel of her's about 1 1/2 years ago. I was just wondering if this type of wheel defect is common or can happen easily...because it has never happened on one of our cars before.

The mechanics found the problem by washing the wheel w/ soap and water (to see the air bubbles)...you wouldn't be able to tell by a picture.
put silicone on the inside of the rim, lol.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds very odd....r u sure the rim isn't out of round ...other than a nail in the tire, that's usually the reason air leaks out...
Yeah, it happened on another wheel about 1.5 years ago. The tech checked it out as well. I didn't know if this was something that happened often or not.