Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 420 SEL
Rotor replacement

I am replacing the rotors on my 89 420 sel. I got the car because its a big old beautiful beast but it really is turning into a labor of love. I am a hobby mechanic and try to do as much as I can to the car myself but keep running into issues. I hate getting frustrated and just taking it to the shop to have them do it.

I am replacing the front rotors for the first time since I have had the vehicle. I am trying to take off the rotor but the screws holding it in place look like this...

I don't even know what I am supposed to put in there, so I am afraid to just hammer a Philips head in. Any idea what I should do with this?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
I don't think that is a screw. It is just a straight peg.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan
Rotor Replacement

I agree. That is just a peg. Since there isn't a screw visible in your photograph, what is probably holding your rotor on is rust. When I replaced my rotors last year on my 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, I had to use a three-jawed puller to remove them from the hubs. And that was after I removed the screws.

Two winters in Chicago had the rotors nearly welded to the hubs. I couldn't even get them off with a hammer. Try the 3 jawed puller and see if that works. Mine was from Snap-on and cost nearly $300. I suggest you rent the biggest, meanest one from a tool rental or auto parts store and try that. If all else fails, off to the dealership.

One more tip. When you are ready to put the new rotors on, be sure to wire brush the hub so there is no rust or corrosion between it and the new rotor. Then put a very thin coating of anti-seize where the hub and rotor are in contact. That will ensure you can get them off another day.

Jeff.