Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need help w/replacement tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S430
Angry Need help w/replacement tires

Have a 2002 S430 w/Sport Package. Factory Dunlop 9000's lasted 20K. Bought Potenza S-03's on recommendation of TireRack salesman. Tires are horrible. Bumps and road imperfections are amplified, and car wanders and pulls whenever riding over minor road imperfections. Please help!!!!! I want the most comfortable riding and safest wet road tire I can get, I don't care about the price or wear and I don't drive the car in snow or ice. Should I go back to the Dunlop's or try a Michilin? What does Mercedes recommend? Each of my 3 service advisors at the dealership tell me something different. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I have Potenza RE950 on mine, they are great. But I don't know if they have your size. BTW, all Ultra High Performance are harsh IMO. Espcially the very low profile ones.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second RE950, those are VERY good A/S tires. However, if you are looking for summer tires, try Toyo T1-S. The compound is softer and the ride should be very comfortable. And if money is no object, Michelin Pilot Sport is okay too. But if I were given a choice, I would still choose Toyo over Michelin.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:25 AM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Harris, do you have a favorite comfort-oriented tire for C32 on 18" wheels? The grip of the S0-3's is great, but directional stability and ride is inferior to the stock 17" Bridgestones (not sure what model). I know that part of the deterioration in comfort is related to the wheel upgrade, but I'd like to know what my best option will be in a year when I've worn out the S0-3's. Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mhh
Harris, do you have a favorite comfort-oriented tire for C32 on 18" wheels? The grip of the S0-3's is great, but directional stability and ride is inferior to the stock 17" Bridgestones (not sure what model). I know that part of the deterioration in comfort is related to the wheel upgrade, but I'd like to know what my best option will be in a year when I've worn out the S0-3's. Any thoughts?
Toyo T1-S! The best tire out there!!!! I'm on my 3rd set now. Great performance, excellent durability, superb ride comfort!!! What more can you ask for?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 AM

Michelin Pilot Sport

The only tires I put on my cars,great all around tire.Very pricy but they last quite awhile and they grip in wet and dry very well.Ride comfort is very good and they try to stay in a straight line much better then other tires.
I have never had Toyo but Harris knows what he's talking about,and he seems to like them alot.I guess your decision depends on price....