Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Brake Problems - w124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 300E
Brake Problems - w124

Just a short preface to this question - please do excuse my inherent ignorance on mechanical issues. I am rather new to the world of MB and cars in particular, for that matter. I'm doing my best to learn as I go!

That being said, I just started having some strange brake action coming from the front-left wheel. After driving in stop-and-go traffic for about 45 minutes, I started hearing some popping (almost grinding) noise, and feeling reverberation in the brake pedal every time I was about to come to a complete stop. Very hard to explain exactly how it sound/felt, but definitely was not normal.

I don't think it was a ball joint or another part of the front suspension since I just had ball joints, struts, tie rods, damper done less than 500 miles ago. Then again, I'm a newbie to all this so I could be completely wrong.

I took a quick look down there and saw no physical signs of wear on the brakes. Could this be a warped rotor? Caliper problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!