Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

09 C63 - square

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
09 C63 - square

I just picked up this car, it's a lot of fun.....

I'd like to mount a square set up, like 18x10 or the like.

my question is, what is the widest wheel I can fit under the front and back? can a 10 with a 285 fit front and back? it's ok it the offsets are different, I don't care about rotation. just want them all the same. only criteria is they don't stick out or rub at any height.

thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Geez HB. I would have thought by your answer to my question about brake hardware you fancied yourself the abs/tire expert.

Anyways, enough snark. I will actually answer your actual question. Bear in mind the question is a little strange in that the benefit of a square set up IS tire rotation. Also you say you don't care about offset, you just want them all the same. You have to care about offset as that's how you are going to fit differing front and back wheel wells.

Anyways. If all this is the case there's no point in trying to get a 10" wheel in the back cos there's no way it's going in the front. Given the parameters of your question, you would have to match up to the fronts and not the backs. 275s of some tires fit in the back and I don't think I have seen 285s. Depends on the shape of the tire. Certainly not without rubbing. 245s at the front. The biggest challenge in our cars is putting the power to the ground, and it is hard to make much of a wheel/tire change to improve that due, in no small part, to the fact that the AMG's have a different track (its wider) from the regular c class and as a result the wheels are pushed all the way out to the corners. SO. If you really want them all the same you are riding on 245's which is a step down in traction.

But as I said tire rotation is the big benefit of a square set up. That would be awesome to be able to do given the way we go through rears 2-3 x's faster than the front. But no. This car, it's handling, it's traction control, it's braking, are all engineered based upon the differing stickiness between a 235 and a 255 width tire front and back. It doesn't seem like much, but if you did match them up all the way around you would see all those things affected adversely.
There aren't any AMGs with a square set up on this board and that is why.

I guess the other benefit would be that some wheels are only available as a square setup, but if that's the motivation you just have to keep looking. Frankly, the lack of wheel selection has saved me from compulsive rim shopping as I just can't find any that really truly float my boat.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 AM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Geez HB. I would have thought by your answer to my question about brake hardware you fancied yourself the abs/tire expert.

Anyways, enough snark. I will actually answer your actual question. Bear in mind the question is a little strange in that the benefit of a square set up IS tire rotation. Also you say you don't care about offset, you just want them all the same. You have to care about offset as that's how you are going to fit differing front and back wheel wells.

Anyways. If all this is the case there's no point in trying to get a 10" wheel in the back cos there's no way it's going in the front. Given the parameters of your question, you would have to match up to the fronts and not the backs. 275s of some tires fit in the back and I don't think I have seen 285s. Depends on the shape of the tire. Certainly not without rubbing. 245s at the front. The biggest challenge in our cars is putting the power to the ground, and it is hard to make much of a wheel/tire change to improve that due, in no small part, to the fact that the AMG's have a different track (its wider) from the regular c class and as a result the wheels are pushed all the way out to the corners. SO. If you really want them all the same you are riding on 245's which is a step down in traction.

But as I said tire rotation is the big benefit of a square set up. That would be awesome to be able to do given the way we go through rears 2-3 x's faster than the front. But no. This car, it's handling, it's traction control, it's braking, are all engineered based upon the differing stickiness between a 235 and a 255 width tire front and back. It doesn't seem like much, but if you did match them up all the way around you would see all those things affected adversely.
There aren't any AMGs with a square set up on this board and that is why.

I guess the other benefit would be that some wheels are only available as a square setup, but if that's the motivation you just have to keep looking. Frankly, the lack of wheel selection has saved me from compulsive rim shopping as I just can't find any that really truly float my boat.
Not knowing what wheels fit in a fenderwell on a specific car is not the same as knowing the difference between traction and brake fade.

I didn't say I don't care about offset, I said I don't care about tire rotation.

The only reason I asked is because even with all the magical AMG fairy dust and specific german engineering designed around a staggered set up with specific tire sizes honed to perfection (lol), the car still understeers. Guess what is a common way to balance that out? Square up a staggered set up (among other things like suspension parts - not surprisingly unavailable for these cars). The only reason you don't see it is because it can't be done for the reason you mentioned. The wheel wells are too small to accommodate a wide enough tire.

Tire rotation is a benefit to square setup but as we know with different offsets, you don't rotate, even if the widths are the same.....so that's moot as well, hence me not caring about rotation. If you want to be snarky, as you say, at LEAST read the post.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
it's ok it the offsets are different, I don't care about rotation. just want them all the same
Clear as mud. its ok if they are different, i just want them all the same.

Anyways, I'm quickly picking up that you are one of those smug, dickish guys who is always pretty sure they are the smartest guy in the room. The kind of guy that will ask questions but then be condescending to anyone who responds.

Dont ask if you're just gonna act like you've cornered the market on knowledge and answers. I take the time to answer the question, where I clearly did read the post, and you have to throw the smarmy response out.

Read the info you provided in your question - it provided no context as to why you wanted that info. You may think you have all the answers but you better, cos you're **** with the questions. You just keep on giving this kind of response to people who take the time to try and help out. Im sure it will work real well for you.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 AM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Clear as mud. its ok if they are different, i just want them all the same.

Anyways, I'm quickly picking up that you are one of those smug, dickish guys who is always pretty sure they are the smartest guy in the room. The kind of guy that will ask questions but then be condescending to anyone who responds.

Dont ask if you're just gonna act like you've cornered the market on knowledge and answers. I take the time to answer the question, where I clearly did read the post, and you have to throw the smarmy response out.

Read the info you provided in your question - it provided no context as to why you wanted that info. You may think you have all the answers but you better, cos you're **** with the questions. You just keep on giving this kind of response to people who take the time to try and help out. Im sure it will work real well for you.
take your chill pill, work on your reading comprehension, and talk to someone in real life. internet is not therapy. I'm not going to respond to your post because it is way too far beneath me, plus you get mad over nothing. i'll let you be alone with your troubles. bye bye.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Drat. I was hoping that we could be buddies and hang out and stuff and you could share your infinite wisdom with me and spare me from my ignorance. Oh well, I guess you'd just move on anyways, since judging by your other posts no one here can teach you anything anyways.

Buh-bye.