Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Smoothing ride quality on CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55
Smoothing ride quality on CLS55

Hello.

Newbie here, I got a 2006 CLS55 with 030 performance package a few months ago. However, I’m finding the ride quality to be a bit too harsh for my taste and I’m wondering what steps I can take to improve it. I love the engine, build quality, and looks of the car, so I’m going to keep it – trading it for a Lexus or whatever is not an option.

When I bought it, my CLS55/030 had aftermarket 20x9 and 20x11 wheels (3-piece, unknown brand) with 245/35/20 and 305/25/20 Hankook V12 tires. I’m told by a local wheel guy that those sizes are mismatched, either the front should be 255/30/20 or else the back should be 295/30/20. The sidewall height is noticeably different between front and rear. The dealer noted that the car had been lowered with washers on the Airmatic – I had them reverse everything, so I think the suspension is back to stock. With the current setup, there is no rubbing issue.

The ride is a bit busy on regular surface streets & freeways (California), with some sharper jolts over expansion joints, potholes etc. It’s not awful, but I want to try to smooth it out more. I don’t want to mess with the suspension, just seeing what improvement can be made with wheels/tires alone. As I see it, there are several steps that I could take:

0. Do nothing

1. Reduce air pressure in tires (but it’s already at 33psi all around, going any lower I think might give excessive tire wear or heating)

2. Replace rear tires to increase sidewall height to be comparable to front

3. Do #2 and switch tire brands/models. Searching the board showed a few postings where Michelin PSS was favorably compared to V12 in terms of smoothness. Tire Rack surveys & tests also indicate PSS as tops in ride quality.

4. Do #3 and also replace wheels, going down to 19-inch, and further increasing sidewall height (say 245/40/19 and 285/35/19)

5. Do #4 and specifically look for lightweight monoblock forged wheels to minimize unsprung weight.

I think the more I do, the smoother ride I can get, but also the cost goes up quickly. So my question is: what is the sweet spot for modifications to give the most improvement in ride? Put another way -- given my starting point, is the ride quality likely to improve most from: (a) taller sidewalls, (b) different tire compound/design, or (c) reduction in unsprung weight?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM

06 cls 55 amg
Try continental extreme contact dw. Not dws
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Nissan
Hi all,According to me The ride is a bit busy on regular surface streets & freeways (California), with some sharper jolts over expansion joints, potholes etc. It’s not awful, but I want to try to smooth it out more.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CL55 AMG
Going with a smaller rim and taller tire will do the trick. Low profile tires, no matter what make or brand, will ever give you the ride you're looking for. I have Michelin PSS 275/30-20 and 245/35-20 and I love them! When I had to run the spare, a Michelin PS on an 18" rim, for a couple of days I noticed a difference. The PSS's are 10 times better than the Yoko's I had but the compound does not make up for the low profile.