Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Review: 2007 C230 Sport, Kumho Ectsa 4X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport, BMW X3
Review: 2007 C230 Sport, Kumho Ectsa 4X

Bought from tirerack.com and service was great, as usual. Tires even arrived 2 days early with standard shipping.

The Kumhos gave up some stability over the previous Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, but that was to be expected going with a cheaper, not so performance oriented tire. However, they did provide a good ride, but only for 8K miles. Then they got LOUD. At that point, I took the car in to check the alignment and balance because they were so loud and wearing VERY fast. I had the car aligned when the tires were originally installed, and when I had it checked, the alignment was exactly where it was when the tires were installed and obviously was still well with in spec. Also, the wheels were still in balance.

At that point I was only a couple or 3 millimeters from the wear bars in the rear. Fast forward to 13K miles and the rears are almost bald. Now I don't drive aggressively and obviously can't even spin my tires due to only 201 HP and all the driving aids on the car, so what the heck? Also, 85 percent of my driving is highway to and from work. I know these cars are harder on rear tires than most cars but it chewed through these Kumhos. The front tires are still great, but the rears are done. I can't say how disappointed I am with the Kumhos, and I say that having been previously pleased with Kumhos on my WS6 Trans Am and turbo Miata, so much so that I ran 3 sets of Kumhos on the WS6.

So, my advice is to stay away from the Kumho Ecsta 4X. Pics to come showing wear.

Final note: my trusted tire shop I have been using for years for installs advised me to buy higher end tires or this would happen...I should have listened, but my wife will tell you, I'm a stubborn bull.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM

C230 Sport, BMW X3
BTW, I run factory air pressure.

Front right tire, both fronts have equal wear

Right rear, both rears have equal wear

They are wearing very quickly now. Since my post a few days ago, and the time when I took these pics, I've driven about 200 miles and they are visibily more worn. Ordering new tires tonight. I HATE mixing tires on cars, but I really don't want to buy these tires again and the fronts have lots of life left and I don't want to just throw money and rubber away replacing perfectly good tires. Not sure what I'll get at this point, but have a few ideas.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM

C230 Sport, BMW X3
Forgot to mention, I have these same tires on my wife's X3 and they are actually wearing good at this point, around 7K miles without looking at the paper work. I got them for her car shortly after I got them for my C230, before I noticed them wearing horribly. I'm keeping a close eye on hers and will report in this thread how they look around 12K miles for comparison between how they perform on two different vehicles.

Last edited by Steve27; 04-08-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added text