Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Anybody put runflats on a CLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55
Anybody put runflats on a CLS?

I have a 2006 CLS55 with 030 performance package. It has no spare tire [I'm guessing because the spacesaver spare doesn't fit over the front brakes, but haven't confirmed this]. Flat tire yesterday, couldn't re-inflate, so I was stranded on side of the freeway with wife and 2 preschool kids, waiting for a tow truck. Makes me want to consider runflats.

But, I've assumed runflats were rock-hard, and the 030PP is already too firm for my taste with Hankook V12s. I've heard there are newer runflats that are more comfortable. Potenza RE960AS RFT for example, but that one doesn't come in the right sizes. I did come across Continental ContiSportContact 5P SSR which says it is Mercedes OEM. (I think for the newer CLS, but not sure). I can't find any reviews on these CSC 5P tires -- does anyone have them on their Merc?

If you've switched to/from runflats on a heavy Merc sedan, please share your thoughts on pluses/minuses. For me, the main thing is not getting stranded and keeping family safe. But, I'm sure there are drawbacks in ride comfort, wear, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS, Grand Cherokee, Range Rover HSE, 70 cuda 440+6
I have never heard a good thing about run flats.
The ride is terrible because of the super hard side walls! The run flat will get you off the highway, but after you drive on them with no air they need to be replaced. I your situation might be worth trying. But how often do you get a blow out ?
Unfortunately you had a bad situation, sorry to hear.
Just wanted let you know.